Sunday, November 13, 2011

seeing clearly

I can see clearly now the rain is gone

I can see all obstacles in my way

Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind

It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshinin' day

It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshinin' day

(“I Can See Clearly Now”, Johnny Nash)



My Dad, was a very humble and proud man. He was a man of the 50’s and thought that any emotion he had should be kept to himself and any expression of fear, or trepidation was a weakness and certainly never openly shared. His dreams of becoming a basketball or football coach were squelched many years ago in his life by his parents both Orthodox Jews very set in their ways who felt that Jewish men should own their own business, become a doctor or an attorney. My grandparents, his mother and father believed that success was a simple as three choices and if you were neither a businessman, doctor or an attorney you made the wrong choices and had to suffer the consequences.


My Dad rebelled and joined the Army, then the Navy and after his service to America he became a policeman for the city of Pittsburgh. He kept his many secrets about his success and failures but always encouraged his kids to be the best at what it is they thought they loved. When I was 17 years old I won an award from the Jewish Community Center of Pittsburgh called the Latterman Teen High Achievement Award. It was an award that honored teens for service to the JCC and acknowledged the efforts and energy of being a volunteer. The night I received that award my Dad came over to me and said whatever you do in life do not, no he added never be invisible. Never give anyone the permission to diminish your dreams or block your road to find your goals. Dreams can only triumph when they become real.


My Dad above most anything feared being invisible. He did not want to be ghost like in what he did but wished to be noticed, acknowledged, made real. He told his kids to not permit anyone from stopping them, but sadly was better in giving us confidence then learning how to bestow that gift to himself.


Being invisible I have learned is a lot easier then NOT. It seems that letting the status quo evolve is a lot more comfortable then trying to make change. It seems that permitting others to walk past you without saying wait here I am is often times more comfortable.


I try and I look at those on the street with signs stating they are hungry, homeless, lost and lonely, I may not have the aid they wish, but I want them to know they exist. I try and I nod at those who I see every day but pretend I am someone new or someone they have never seen, even though their insecurity reeks of rude and selfishness. I try and never let anyone feel invisible. How hard is it to say I see you?


In America of 2011, we seem to have those who find themselves invisible and those who glow like neon signs with spotlights focused on them 24/7. We have homeless, unemployed, under insured all in plain sight but some how disparaged as wanting something they don’t deserve. We have same sex couples in love wanting the legality and respect of marriage seen as disciples of Satan. We have elderly fearful of no income, no ability for medical attention seen as selfish. We have college students wanting the American dream seen as lazy. We have Veterans returning home with medical conditions caused by wars only seen as useless now that their tour of duty is over. We have middle class working families only wanting fair and equal being told that they must wait. We have all of those demographics and more who seem to be invisible.


I am grateful for the demonstrations, the noise, the chaos created by Occupy Wall Street. For me they represent so many invisible people who are only asking to be heard and more importantly seen. This is or at least was a country of dreams, dreams with the best chance in the world to come true. It is about time we stop being told what we cannot afford, cannot become cannot dream. Why are some people seen while the rest walk around like ghosts?


I think I can make it now, the pain has gone

All of the bad feelings have disappeared

Here is that rainbow I've been praying for

It's gonna be a bright, bright sun-shining day. (“I Can See Clearly Now”, Johnny Nash)


We have to be visible for others to see us, but most importantly so we can all of what we should and will become.


No comments :