Wednesday, December 28, 2011

the bruno's

In the early 1950's Christmas was a rather social occasion for our family. My dad was a Sergeant with the Pittsburgh Police and one of at least 11 men on the force who among other things happened to be Jewish. In Pittsburgh, much like the entire country, during the early 1950's Christmas was considered a national holiday. We had creches in public schools, ornate Christmas pageants in public schools, and there was never any problem with everyone wishing you a Merry Christmas considering everyone thought that this was after all a Christian nation love it or leave it!

In the 1950's Christmas actually started about three weeks before the 25th of December and the holidays of Halloween and Thanksgiving held their own. My dad was a good guy and most of the policemen he worked with held him in high esteem. My dad was a Jew, but since he was a good guy the Jew part could be overlooked and my dad and his family got invited to a slew of Christmas parties, dinners and get-togethers. Many invitations were from one friend to another and some were vehicles in which some Christian family tried in vein to convince my dad to convert. Nonetheless we managed in a span of about 5 years to enjoy an Italian, Polish, Hungarian, Irish, and German version of Christmas cheer and Christmas food. It was a most wonderful time in my life and a chance to really learn about family traditions.

We saw a cadre of Nativity scenes, some ornate made from ivory to jade (mostly Jesus, Mary and Joseph were white), we helped decorate 3 foot 4 foot 5 foot trees (never placing the angel on the trees unless we considered converting), and we tasted some recipes brought over to this country from generations of relatives who still yearned for the old country. We lived Christmas and my sisters and I loved every moment of it.

We received about 100 Christmas cards, displaying them on the mantel, the railing leading to the second floor and on every empty living room table top. My dad received 5 pound boxes of chocolate with almost a million different toppings ( it seemed like a million), and he was gifted enough booze to keep a dozen bars in stock.

We were Jewish but in the 1950's we enjoyed the Christmas season like the best of the Christians in this country. And my memories of that period of my life have always shone bright regarding Christmas, until now.

It seemed back in the 1950's I was more of an observer of everything Christmas, but I just returned home from a 5 day excursion with the love of my life Joe, as we spent Christmas with his family in Buffalo and I came home in LA as a full time participant.

Rose and John Bruno raised four wonderful kids, Francine, Ginny, Lisa and Joe. And this Christmas time (as has been the case for Joe's 44 years) the holiday is spent eating, laughing, loving and learning sharing the frailties, fancies, problems promise, insecurities sincerity's, singularities and hope that make each and every Bruno Christmas special.

And here I was a part of this family, no longer just an observer, but a participant, in a Christmas that has provided me with the warmest, most delightful, and exceptional memories ever. I saw the real purpose of Christmas, experienced its magic and discovered whom ever you call your family love them,love them, love them. I was in the middle of the most sincere Christmas card and carol and had the best time of my life. This was a true Christmas.

I used to rely on my 1950's version of Christmas to help me with this holiday season. But now I have something more relevant to ponder and wonder over. My Christmas with the Bruno's in Buffalo is a moment that now becomes a sweet memory. Tis the season!

No comments :