Thursday, November 14, 2013

we said "I do"

We said “I do”, even though some shouted no you don’t. We said “I do” even though some claiming to speak for God insisted no you won’t. We said “I do”, then added love; while some insist that its not from heaven above. We said “I do”, my husband for life, while insecure folk demand it be husband and wife. We said “I do”, Wednesday morn, no other marriage died, but ours was born.

Freedom should be a common denominator. Equality should be as free as the air we breathe. The love of your life should be personal not petty. We said “I do” among family and friends, in a courthouse of the people. We said “I do” officiated by a Judge who proclaimed love is love. We said “I do” waiting our turn with four couples ahead of us and a slew of couples to follow.  We said “I do”, and as we exited the courthouse so many others shouted of course you do.


Each marriage is unique, but in a land of laws and democracy it should also be the norm with no exceptions based on bigotry, bias, bogus or religious zealotry. Joe and I said “I do” two words between two people not who happen just to be two men, or two women or a man and woman, but a dialogue, albeit short and sweet defining that from this point forward there is one more component to our love.  We said “I do” on Wednesday, night fell, Thursday’s sun shone, LA did not quake and shake, hypocrisy still flourishes in politics and religion, some people are still hungry others gluttonous, some people are happy to be alive others just struggle. We said “I do”, and the lives of Joe and I changed dramatically and not much else happened to change the world.

No comments :