Sunday, October 4, 2009

Perhaps

I went grocery shopping today. I live about 12 blocks from the nearest chain store and about 6 blocks from my favorite Trader Joe's. The walk is usually a "no brainer" as I have my recycled bags in hand and my I Pod in my ears and comfortable sneakers and the wind behind my back.

But today was a cooler and dryer day in LA with he sun peaking behind the clouds and I thought why not listen to the noise I usually ignore and see what I usually miss by hiding behind my own music.

It was quite an interesting adventure.

As I left my apartment, I ran into, literally ran into two dog walking middle aged women whose 12 foot long retractable leashes did not retract. Instead, the leashes intertwined as the one miniature something or other chased the toy poodle and both dogs in the heat of the chase were tied up in knots.

Try as I might to walk around the dogs in question, each step I took to avoid them took me a step closer to their uncontrollable knot making dance. The two owners did very little to untie the dogs but just stood standing there saying how cute this little mishap looked.

I did not look cute as I tried to get out of the way with no assistance from the the owners. The leashes were now surrounding my legs and the game of dogie tag was growing tiresome. I asked the ladies if they could move the dogs from tying me up and their response was flat and full of disgust. What's your hurry one said, they are just having fun. And the other one said, under her breath, but in the way most passive aggressive individuals mutter, "...men..."

I, as directly as possible and as evil looking as I could said move them or I will. Finally the one woman, who I think never bent from the waist down sighed a demeaning sigh and pulled on the leash and said the "MAN DOES NOT LIKE YOU SWEETIE", and yanked he leash helping he dog to fly about two feet in the air. "There", she said, "are you happy"?

"You bet I am sweetheart". And as I walked away, both women snarled, he must hate women and he certainly hates dogs." I felt the blood rush from my heart to my head, felt the muscles in my fists harden, and felt my lungs about to burst. I turned to the two women, a dramatic turn I must admit, the kind that requires background music from Wagner, and said, "hate women, nope, not at all. I hate selfish people who think that life is all about them and their needs. I hate people who make the world always about them. I hate people who find everyone else to be the blame for their own inability to change bad to good. I hate people who think everyone else around them is invisible. I hate people who just take, take, take, take. And oh by the way I suppose since both of you are women, right now I hate women like you.

By this time, the heavier of the two, the one who clutched her supply of dogie poop bags in her Versace Dogie Poop Bag holder looked pale and wane. The other, I think was about to open her over the shoulder baby diaper bag and look for the pepper spray to mist all over me if I came any closer. They both were in the grab and run position with their dogs, ready to run and call the police. But as dramatically as I turned to face them I swiftly changed direction and began my trek up the hill to complete my intended errand. the music playing would have been something from Randy Newman.

Perhaps I over reacted, perhaps not. Perhaps I just grew tired of being around people who seem to think the world stops and starts with them. Perhaps the politics of the nation and my involvement with the unfair, imbalance, lies and deceits of those making policy has taken its toll on me and I feel that every wrong needs to be addressed.

Perhaps next time I leave my apartment I need to play my IPod let the internal music smother the outside noise. Dogs on a leash are not the problem its the people who hold those leashes. Its the people with the power and the power to then abuse. Perhaps I feel that the "just say no" Republicans, and the beholden to Big Pharma Blue Dog Democrats, and the spineless other Democratic Senators and Congresspeople have me on the leash and just let me and the American people go in circles, pulling us three feet in the air whenever they want.

And perhaps I have just had enough! Perhaps!

No comments :