Thursday, October 27, 2011

a pie in the face

I have seen one commercial after another telling me, via actors and actresses who are supposed to look and act just like me, how the health insurance companies are only in the business of business because of all things they care about my well being. I have seen the faces of caring women and men either dressed in doctor/nurse garb or business attire telling me that why they work at said health insurance corporation is first of all to make my life easier. I am told by serious looking actors and maybe one or two real CEO's from the health insurers, that the cost of keeping me well is a damn mighty expense, and to do the right thing money must be spent and try as they might, some costs must increase. So today, being 62 and working with the public I decided to get a flu shot. Now I considered that getting the flu shot is a preventative measure not only to keep me healthy but to avoid any expenses on my behalf in getting sick. I thought it was wise to be preventative. I go to my pharmacy and ask if my health insurance will pay for this and I am told AETNA doesn't think getting a flu shot is worth their reimbursement. It only cost $25, it was my decision but really, AETNA, rewarding someone who i proactive trying hard to save all of us money and it is not worth your reimbursement!

Once again in the city of Los Angeles if one is unlucky enough to watch local news one will discover that the day to day situation surrounding Dr. Murray's murder trial is THE primary storyline taking about 30 minutes of the hourly news. One will discover that the remaining amount of time is spent on the Kardashian's love life, Lindsey Lohan's spoiled brat escapades, or anything Two and a Half Men. Maybe, if someone was bashed or dragged in cuffs or hit with tear gas a few minutes of gratuitous video will be shown of the Occupy movement, with the cameras panning on the supposed journalists having them look like dear in head lights. Living in LA if all you did was watch local news you might never know we have a revolution at hand.

John Boehner is at a $10,000 a ticket fund raiser. He took time from playing golf at a country club in Newport Beach, and did step away from speaking at a variety of conservative based think tanks to attend this most important self serving event. We have a jobs problem and are told by corporations that they can't spend money on employment until their blackmail demands of no regulations, no unions, and no new taxes are met. But somehow there are millions of dollars available to buy a politician, lobby a politician, and own a politician. Mr. Boehner is not alone nor is it just the Republicans who seem to receive money from corporations who otherwise say they have no money to spend on anything. And somehow, we talk, talk, talk about buying and selling candidates, complain, complain, complain about how the wealthy are becoming the owners of the Congress, worry, worry, worry that a few set the agenda for the many via their pocketbooks, but as voters have no power to change the evil before us.

I was kid and used to laugh my ass off watching the Soupy Sales Show. For those of you too young to remember where you were when JFK was assassinated, the Soupy Sakes Show had a bunch of bizarre characters who loved playing tricks on one another, and in particular on Soupy Sales. For me one of the most hilarious parts of the show was when Soupy had a pie thrown in is face. I could never stop laughing because I knew the pie was coming, I knew he would have banana cream all over his face, and I knew he never realized it was coming. But somehow even though the clues were obvious Soupy, no matter what was splatted with pie!

After a while I thought that the Soupy Sales Show was stupid. Come on I said to friends, how many times must you be the recipient of a pie in the face and not say enough! But here I am at 62 and somehow all I have seen in the past many years is pies being thrown and like Soupy Sales it seems all we do about it is find a towel to wipe off the mess all over our face. And just as I grew tired of the Soupy Sales Show I am so over this!




No comments :