Sunday, December 6, 2015

Festival of Lights

In the light of a candle as it bounces, blossoms and beckons bits of beauty, many people begin to imagine images dancing, floating, haunting and picturesque. On the nights of Hanukkah as I light my Menorah I too look deeply into the wispy glow of the candles and emotions from my grandmothers stories as a little girl, my grandfathers saga’s of bravery as a young man, my parents tales of how miracles are made more majestic not magically BUT by our own perseverance and patience; I stop, sigh, and realize just how important mere moments of our lives matter.  Many Jewish families will begin an eight day celebration of wonders, why’s, wisdom and wishes, wanting to know if they too will have the power to defeat their own adversaries. We live in a nation with potential and promise but somehow recently, the lights of peace and prosperity waver in the wind. On this Eve of Hanukkah, as I light my candles I hope to see opportunities of kindness, caring, acceptance and accord sway swiftly in the orange, blue and yellow willows of candle light. Cha Urim Sameach, (Happy Festival of Lights!)