Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

On October 21, '1949' I met Howard Buncher. Since it was 1949 I had to wait a few hours before meeting my Dad, but eventually he was permitted to visit his wife and see his new son. I am not sure exactly when I realized who this man was, but for Howard's part, it was unconditional love immediately.

For the first 4 years of my life, my Mother managed to buy a tie or two, after shave cologne, and yes, Tipperillo's. I actually remember being 5 and going shopping in Downtown Pittsburgh, Gimbel's Department Store to be exact, and buying my Dad a box of handkerchiefs with the initial H stitched in the center.

Howard became a Dad when he was in his late 40's. I was his first child, and it was a learning experience for my Dad, and each day was a new moment in his momentum to be a good Dad. There were many days when I know how hard it was to do the right thing and many more moments when all it took was love to allow my Dad to move forward and not fail. In the 50's and early 60's parenting had few Mavens, fewer books with instructions, and less role models to lead the way.

Television offered Ward Cleaver, Father Knows Best, and Dwight David Eisenhower was the Father of our country. Things were mostly black and white in the 50's and the early 60's and choice, chance and coincidence very difficult to rely on. So being a Dad was a one on one game, and you had to use all of your skill and talent to make it right.

In May 1978, at the age of 28, I met my son Adam. After arduous Lamaze Classes, learning how to be the Coach for my wife, after running through endless hours of just in case, we went into labor and once I saw the crown of his head with all that beautiful brown hair I fell in love. Again, in December 1980 feeling a little more cocky because this was my second child, I met my daughter Dani and as her tiny head was shown that feeling of instant love took immediate control and I knew I could never ever live life without her. Unconditional love for both of my kids swept over me and from that moment forward and it was hard to believe I had lived on this earth without them.

My Dad was alive to meet his grandson, Adam, and in remembrance of my Dad, we named my daughter Dani in his honor. I was proud of my kids and prouder when my Dad kissed my son, and very proud at the naming ceremony when the Rabbi announced that Dani's name was to honor my Dad.

I am blessed to have been born to a Father who knew how to love and could demonstrate his love to his children. I am blessed twice more for being able to carry on the legacy of love and being called Dad, understanding the responsibility and reasoning behind it. I am blessed to know love from a Father and to provide love to my children.

It is another Father's Day, and I have so much to be grateful for so much greatness to gain and so much goodness to give and receive. I remember my Dad always, and I am remembering the wonders of being a Dad. Here is to Howard, Adam and Dani!

No comments :