Thursday, December 27, 2018

Journey and horizons

The journey home, begins, again, as Joe and I begin the arduous task of packing our bags, anticipating the medieval routine at the airport, the sardine can situation of riding on a plane, unless you are one of the special perks of people paying more than enough to at least find head, arm, and leg room…but most profound, will be the farewells, the last looks, the final touches, and the words of true human wisdom, of we, will see you again, we love you…never goodbye, but a so long FOR NOW!
“The health of the eye seems to demand a horizon. We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough.”Ralph Waldo Emerson

I sort of kind of began my less new detox while visiting my other family… Joe’s siblings, and parents and their spouses and kids… how could I possibly experience the Christmas spirit, which aside for the love of the Bruno family brought us to Buffalo…but detox is difficult and I had not the true strength to ignore the world in which I live, because I NEVER want to remain silent…I learned via the AIDS crisis and before that the Final Solution by the Nazi’s that silence DOES indeed equal death, so I continued to rant and rave, perhaps less actively than my usual angst permits…but still made myself aware…another innocent child has died in the custody of the Customs and Border Control and the Director of our Homeland pretends she is not the premeditated murderer. The Government is shut down, and some people who need food stamps to just eat one hardy meal will be without that benefit, and of course Trump lied to the Troops about pay raises, and his loyalty to them (he has no loyalty, except to the man who owns the video and audio and the loan money, Putin), There is more but I must refrain from all of my anger. Oh yeh, when Joe and I head for the airport, we will be greeted by TSA workers, working on a whim and a promise they will be paid…some day! 
“We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon.”Franklin D. Roosevelt

I am blessed with family and friends, who insist that hope is still alive, at least specks and sparks of it thrive. They assure me, with the wisdom of a human heart, and strength of a human soul, that certainly bad cannot triumph over good. Bad is pretty good at breaking rules, bending the truth, and being the bully, they say, but good, perhaps is like the tortoise who slowly, methodically, but surely wins the race…in this case not against the hare, but a monster so great in stature that at times he blocks out the sun. But, I am reminded by Joe, the sun will rise, Trump or no Trump! So we head home, this journey’s end…and the newest one to begin, again in LA
“And so we remained till the red of the dawn began to fall through the snow gloom. I was desolate and afraid and full of woe and terror. But when that beautiful sun began to climb the horizon life was to me again.” Bram Stoker