Tuesday, December 18, 2018

my teachers

To Miss MacAteer, my elementary school Social Studies teacher, I want to inform you that all of the information you imparted to me, a student, set me on my path to try and understand our government, and Capitalism. It was the mid 50’s and very early 60’s, and I was a naive youngster, like a sponge ready to learn the ways of governing and the purpose and role of the United States within the world we lived. I admired your dedication to teach facts, and for that particular era, try your best to maintain that the current status quo was a good thing. (You also taught your 7th-grade class, to never use God’s name in vain, by sending a student to the cloakroom for saying God Damnit when he tripped getting to his desk…I remember you placed the chalk on the ledge placed both of your hands on your desk, then picked up the Bible which each classroom teacher had possession of, and said, it is a sin to use Gods name that way). BUT you, explained checks and balances, the purpose and meaning of the Constitution, and defined as best you could the difference between Capitalism and any other form of governing.  I learned a lot from you.

To Miss Cyphers, my elementary school Music teacher, I want to inform you that I still know the lyrics to each and every patriotic American song, ever written to celebrate this nation, our Flag, and the national holidays observed by America. You not only taught us the music and the lyrics, but you provided some history as well as to just how important the music of our times had become, and just how much of pride the songwriters felt s they gifted their art to this nation (I also STILL know every verse to almost over three dozen Christmas carols, which you also taught us in public school, and I remember the time I was chosen to be the Christ child as our second grade class paraded to the lobby in front of the principals office where both the Nativity Scene and Christmas tree were on display. You too encouraged your students to be proud of the Americana tradition of music, and that many songwriters could achieve celebrity and wealth because we lived in a land of Capitalism. I appreciate all you did.


But sadly, Miss MacAteer and Miss Cypher’s recently the thing called Capitalism has taken a turn for the worse or should I say a turn for the wealthy and the newly created human, by the Supreme Court THE CORPORATION.  You both are deceased and FACEBOOK hardly registers with you, but it seems that CORPORATION decided that profit over country is the priority in a country full of Capitalism. They are not alone, in placing profit over the country. It seems EXXON/MOBILE had done the same thing. The giant oil conglomeration had kept secret, poisoning the planet, because they felt until every ounce of carbon was utilized, why spoil a good thing. Both FACEBOOK and EXXON/MOBILE also felt that if a foreign country paid enough, then it was wise to remain silent about working with an enemy. I have thrived via Capitalism, and swear I am not a Negative Nancy, but shouldn’t there come a time when profits, should be less of a priority than people. And shouldn’t there be a time, as both of you ladies (Miss MacAteer and Miss Cyphers) used to proudly teach that democracy is only as good as those who practice and respect it. I truly am appreciative of your dedication to your job as educators, but I bet if you came back to the classroom in the 21st Century you might have no idea in which country you are living!