Wednesday, August 11, 2021

FORE AND HIND SITE

 More than 175 public health experts, scientists, and activists on Tuesday demanded that President Biden take urgent steps to confront the global spread of the coronavirus, warning that without immediate action to inoculate the rest of the world, newer variants are likely to emerge — including ones that may evade vaccines’ protection. (Washington Post)

 

Usually, for me, if the day is dreary, the temperatures a bit chilly, and our house is begging me to just give in, and do absolutely NO EXERCISE, or form of EXERTION; perhaps a bottle of Pinot Noir is calling my name, “GERALD, GERRY, GER,” as our sofa magically has transformed itself into a day bed, and even our dog Chance is giving me a hypnotic eye, and some sort of telepathy saying, just watch a bad movie full of terrifying What If’s and tons of Oh My God’s and a myriad of END OF THE WORLD WORRIES. Having little to no ability to ignore this inviting EXCURSION into drama trauma, we will be saved in the end in the nick of time-LAND, I acquiesce and indulge in one of my favorite passive pleasures and watch A MOTHER NATURE is gonna get you kind of movie. And as I watch it, I think, “Oh Come On, How Obvious Is The Answer, OR, This All Could Have Been Avoided, OR Does It Always Take A Nerdy Scientist, A Buxom Blond, One Of Two Slighted People of Color, And Many Times An Adolescent, to stop a VIRAL OUTBREAK, a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE, a DANGEROUS MAN AND WOMAN EATING AMOEBA, from ending humankind? And after two glasses of Pinot Noir, a few pauses on the remote for bathroom breaks, taking my dog out for his bathroom break, some nosh, and a wasted two hours I say to myself, PHEW, glad it wasn’t me and my family and friends, caught up in that MESS! Oh yeah, all of that was soooooo AVOIDABLE!

 

The day is sunny, the wind warm, the humidity laughing at just how sticky it is making me; our house has not yet begged me to just relax, and I had already exercised, so there is nothing COMPELLING me to watch a DOOMSDAY FLICK. But instead, I read the NEWS, lots of the NEWS, from a ton of sources, and low and behold, the NEWS reads like a bad script from an even worse movie, and all I read, is that as per usual, HUMANKIND, is acting like UNKIND HUMANS, and ignoring MOTHER NATURE, FATHER TIME, pretending that every warning, every time is running out, every, JUST DO SOMETHING, doesn’t matter. HINDSIGHT it seems is just as blind as FORESIGHT!