Sunday, August 20, 2023

Day After Tomorrow

 The Day After Tomorrow: After climatologist Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid) is largely ignored by U.N. officials when presenting his environmental concerns, his research proves true when an enormous "superstorm" develops, setting off catastrophic natural disasters throughout the world. 

I enjoy watching even the most schlocky of apocalyptic movies, viewing them and wondering what exactly would I do in this same dire situation, if these situations were actual life events. So for the next hour and a half or two hours as I watch the end of the world events, and even as stereotypical heroes and villains are portrayed in typical Hollywood style, either trying to save the day, or destroy the day, I watch, I wait, I wonder, and in usual Hollywood fashion, good usually triumphs…unless the studios are planning a part two or three or one-hundred.

 

Hurricanes off the coast of California, and Baja Mexico. Devastating and life-ending wildfires in Maui. Canadian wildfires lasting for months. 100-plus-degree weather in the Plains and Texas. Intense heat waves in Europe and Greece. Flash floods all over the world. And as most to many of these are the result of Earth’s climate change, it seems, at least for me, that The Day After Tomorrow has not only arrived in my lifetime, but we are now going on the day after, the day after that, the weeks after that, and the months after The Day After Tomorrow. And sadly, since this is not a scripted movie, there seems to be no HERO around to save the day, but instead, plenty of VILLIANS, identifying themselves as REPUBLICANS.

 

I say, REPUBLICANS, because, in fact, way too many of these Politicians, be they on a State or Federal Level, are still denying that these CATASTROPIC WORLD-WIDE EVENTS, are anything more than Mother Nature. And when I did some research on these REPUBLICAN POLITICIANS, I noticed that there was one major common connection with all of them…ALL OF THEM HAD RECEIVED IN THE PAST, AND CURRENTLY ARE RECEIVING FUNDING FROM THE FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY.

 

I must wonder, do POLITICANS, ever genuinely think, that the money they receive from their PUPPET MASTERS, makes them safer than the rest of us?