Sunday, December 3, 2023

It all weighs the same!

 Newly reported comments by COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber, which throw cold water on a potential commitment to phase out fossil fuels, were condemned by activists and observers at the UN climate summit in Dubai. The comments “show how entrenched he is in fossil fuel fantasy and is clearly determined that this COP doesn’t do anything to harm the interests of the oil and gas industry,” said Mohamed Adow, director of the advocacy group Power Shift Africa. (Bloomberg)

As a young child, I remember an older relative asking me if I thought a pound of coal weighed as much as a pound of feathers. My first inclination was to shout, “Are you being silly, of course, a ton of rocks weighs more than a ton of feathers, geez.” I then contemplated this question a bit further and repeating the question over again in my head, heard the word TON. Somehow, my brain synapses clicked in, and much to the older relatives' surprise, I proudly answered they would both weigh a ton!

 

Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates are members of OPEC as formally, was Qatar, all of those nations are governed by a religious monarchy, whose power has been handed down from the same family hierarchy for generations and generations. If you have been reading the news regarding the erection of the tallest buildings in the world, the creation of lakes and islands in the middle of a desert, and record purchases of Sports Teams and Real estate all over the world, all of the facts will point to the Monarchies of the wealthiest folks on Earth, those so-called Royals from Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar. And lo and behold, Oh my gosh, what a coincidence where has all of that money come from, which keeps the Royals living like Royals, from FOSSIL FUELS.

 

Sadly, the more I learn about the world in which we live, a  world which seems to think that the Quality of Profits will keep humans alive rather than the Quality of the Air we Breathe, or how an Accumulation of Wealth will maintain our Healthy Life, rather than an Accumulation of Healthy Natural Resources, the more I distrust total disgust I garner toward the men and women, who own all of those Profits and Wealth, and who sadly have to power to STOP our disastrous road to CLIMATE DISASTER.

 

And every time I read about YET ONE MORE SO CALLED VERY IMPORTANT CLIMATE CONCLAVE, I want to scream. Show and tell is all this is, a game of let's pretend. This then begs a question, “Which weighs more, a ton of shit or a ton of bull shit?’