Thursday, February 16, 2012

whose land

This land is your land This land is my land
From California to the New York island;
From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and Me.
(“This Land is Your Land” words and music by Woody Guthrie)

I am either, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul or Rick Santorum elect me as president and this will no longer be YOUR land but will become MY land. And in MY land I will decide how you as a woman can handle your reproductive needs, purchase contraceptives, enjoy the gift of rape and become your opposite sex partners subservient slave.

As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
I saw above me that endless skyway:
I saw below me that golden valley:
This land was made for you and me.
(“This Land is Your Land”)

I am the Koch Brothers, the CEO of BP, Mobile/Exxon, Trans Canada and that ribbon of highway is way too expensive to leave as an open space. The endless skyway is for Communists, we have to pollute the space in the name of Capitalism. And all we can say about that golden valley is drill baby drill. This land is OUR land not yours.

I've roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts;
And all around me a voice was sounding:
This land was made for you and me.
(“This Land is Your Land”)

I am the environmental scientists hired by FOX News and I am here to tell you pollution by burning carbon based fuels will make those diamond desert sands worth even more. Climate change is a good thing as it will create more desert space causing more diamond sands. Global warming my ass, just too many people in India and China, once we tame those populations we in America will enjoy the drier summers and the wetter winters. This land is OUR land to foul up not YOURS.

When the sun came shining, and I was strolling,
And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling,
As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting:
This land was made for you and me.
(“This Land is Your Land”)

I am ADM, Cargill, Con Agra and you are strolling on MY land. We are the big three in the Agribusiness and we will grow crops where we wish and if you are just a scrawny family farm we will squash you like a pesky mite on the anus of a flea. I am Monsanto this is MY land and if you don’t like how we enhance the food you eat, move to Viet Nam at least until we set up business there. This land is OUR land.

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.
(This Land Is Your Land)

I am Citibank, Wells Fargo, Bank of America and WE own this land. Yeah you once thought this land was YOUR land but we were smarter than you or was it trickier than you and we convinced you with our tools of the trade to spend your money. We knew it was all a slight of the hand but it takes one fool to make our charades work. No trespassing on OUR land.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?
(“This Land is Your Land”)

This steeple is OUR steeple on OUR land. We are a sect of Christianity whose God is the one true God, you know the one who authored the Constitution. If you can’t follow our rules banning same sex marriage, no abortion under any reason, women as chattel, no immigrants, no child labor laws, no universal health care then you can’t live on this land. There is a war on religion, and we are the Crusaders to tear down anyone who does not pray or hate as we do. And you say you are hungry if you were and not such a lazy unemployed brat working for less then minimum wage maybe you might have enough money to eat.. This is OUR land you pagan, Devil worshipping lazy fool.

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.
(“This Land Is Your Land”)

Makes you wonder whose land this is! The sin of the situation is we have a whole lot of people (as in corporations, thanks to Citizens United and the activist Republican Supreme Court Justices) whose intention is to stop us. Freedom, seems the more we listen to the candidates running for president from the Republican/Tea Party, and the elected officials, the less choice we have and freedom is conditional to the whims and wishes of bias and bigoted buffoons. Nobody can make me turn back, really? I worry that if we don’t turn back the sheer madness, the pure hate, the decisive division, the animosity and lies heralded by people like Limbaugh. Colter, Rove, Walker, Republican State Legislatures and the con men who call themselves minister and preachers this land will be no more then a shell where the rich survive and anyone else barely lives.

We were told this land was made for you and me. We grew up with the promise that democracy would provide opportunity, fair and equal opportunity for all its citizens. We were sung to that God blessed America, anyone’s God and for everyone even if you didn’t believe in a God. We were lectured to that what made democracy unique was an equal access to our politicians, that when elected our politicians would legislate on morals, values, issues relevant that resonated with all their constituents.We were told that minorities should not be the victims of bias and bigotry of the majority.

Woody Guthrie had great insight passion and spirit in writing “This Land Was Made For You And Me”, but somehow, now in 2012 the lyrics take on another meaning and have become mean spirited, making me wonder whose land is this?



No comments :