Tuesday, June 29, 2021

No Sub here

 I was a Lost Boy, in my 1967 Senior Class play of ‘Peter Pan’, I actually auditioned to be Peter, never realizing that in real life or the life of those who EVER produced or directed Peter Pan, Peter was perhaps the first transgendered children’s literature character. Thank goodness I was not good enough to even be considered for that part, as the female student who played the part, was phenomenal and now whenever I reminisce about my Senior Class Play, I think of her and how amazing of a job she had done. Our Drama Teacher, Mrs. Musoff, was one of those rare people in education, who actually liked her students, cared about her profession and encouraged anyone with whom she came in contact, to be the very best they could, even if they had no idea how good they might become. She knew I loved to dance, (one of the few boys in her senior class that was not afraid to say he could dance), and I became the choreographer for the show. Mrs. Musoff directed and produced our Senior Class Play and I choreographed the show. I mention all of this, because, on this hot humid day in North Truro, after handing the gardening and household chores, Joe and I sat on the couch and wham bam thank you CNN, there was a special about the years 1966-1967. Two years, I might add, within my 71 years of leaving a carbon imprint on the Earth, which, TO THIS DAY RESONATE WITH RESOUNDING RHYTHMS, for me!

 

The CNN Special was in regard to the so-called ‘SUB CULTURE’ that musicians during the late ’60s created and morphed into existence. My most favorite of groups were highlighted from Jefferson Airplane, the Mama’s and Papa’s, The Grateful Dead and Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young just to mention a few, and as I watched the SUB CULTURISTS, dance and groove (YES, GROOVE… albeit I have never ben groovy or actually knew how to groove…) and listened to the narration continue to suggest, that SOMEHOW, all of this SUBCULTURE was nurtured as if not a natural part of evolution, a nagging sense of “WHAT THE FUCK,” began to place a grip on the temple area of my head, and a pit began to develop somewhere where my esophagus was situated (Do we really know where our esophagus begins and ends). And I shouted out loud, to Joe and our dog Chance, “NO, we were not a SUBCULTURE, IT WAS OUR CULTURE, AND NOT SOMETHING LESS THAN ANYONE ELSES!” Chance looked at me as if I had just asked him if we wanted to go outside and pee, and Joe said, “No politics now, honey, just enjoy yourself.”  

 

The CNN Special continued, and somehow Ronnie and Nancy Reagan, (The people who would let anyone die, if they seemed to get in their way of becoming rich and relevant) were now being discussed, and I became disgusted. And here I am writing my BLOG. The point BEING, after all of this lead-in…IS…that in 2021, all we supposedly hear about is something ASSNINE, and UNAUTHENTIC as COUNTER CULTURE. WTF, I have thought, and NOW must share, C-O-U-N-T-E-R C-U-L-T-U-R-E, counter to what and WHOM: INSURRECTIONSIST/RACISTS/CHRISTIAN NATIONALISTS/FASCISTS/GOOD NAZI’S/DOMESTIC TERRORISTS/MAGA MANIACS? Like, in the years of 1966 to 1967, EXACTLY upon what common denominator do we consider something SUB or COUNTER…AND exactly whose standard are we basing ALL or ANY of THIS ON?