Saturday, April 9, 2022

What I Worry

 A really wonderful kind of April day in North Truro. A Goldilocks kind of day, with the weather neither too hot nor too cold, enough blue in the sky to highlight the meandering white puffy skies; and somehow a coordinated effort between the wind and the sun, permitting a breezy few moments while the sun still shone brightly! The four bird-feeders we have hanging in our backyard, almost make for a picture-perfect Audubon reflective moment, and our various rafters of wild Turkeys parading in feeding shifts almost seem like I am Old Mac Donald, and the farm is located in my backyard. (I heard the humming sound of the garden tools in the garage calling out “Let’s Do Some Outdoor Work,” but let that bit of conversation remain in the garage located in the front of our house. 

Ahh, as Alfred E. Neuman of MAD Magazine fame often stated, “what me worry,” came to mind but since I was raised to believe that in fact worry ahead of time, provides less stress, afterward, when the real worry hits the fan, no matter the beauty of the day, all around us, to not WORRY, seems to just a collective bit of denial!

 

Once upon a time The Tobacco Cartel of America, told us not to worry about smoking and cancer, we didn’t and until we did, while approximately 6 million people died a year. The Oil Cartel, folks like Mobile-Exxon, hid the truth about climate change and global warming, and our government leaders who were RICHLY paid by these Oil Cartels, emphasized the DON’T part of the worry. Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Michigan, Mississippi, Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Wisconsin—still have unenforced pre-Roe abortion bans in their laws. More than 440 bills with provisions that restrict voting access have been introduced in 49 states in the 2021 legislative sessions, and 19 states have enacted 33 laws that will make it harder for Americans to vote. (Once upon a time we were certain Roe V. Wade, and The Voting Rights Act were what made our Democracy important) Oh yeah, remember even now when we are mask free, can spend closer than 6 ft, with friends and family, that while we do not worry, to this date 937,000 have died. WHAT ME WORRY because I fear if I do not, my rights my freedoms, my health, and the lives of my friends and family, may too soon diminish!