Thursday, February 2, 2023

I see old people

 Cole Sear : I see dead people. Malcolm Crowe : In your dreams? Malcolm Crowe : While you're awake? Malcolm Crowe : Dead people like, in graves? (“The Sixth Sense.” M. Night Shyamalan). The Sixth Sense is a film that is about the breakdown of communication – whether between Cole and Lynn or between Malcolm and Anna. There is a recurring emphasis on miscommunication. This is most obvious in the film's suggestion that ghosts can only talk to certain people and are ignored by others. (movieblog.com).

 

“I SEE OLD PEOPLE!” Yeah, I am a 73-year-old man, I look in the mirror, but somehow the reflection looking back at me is just me with a lot more wrinkles, less hair,  my mother’s sunken eyes, and my father's extra large ears…but I do NOT see an old person looking back at me. But somehow, as I look at the world around me all I seem to see are old people, not necessarily chronologically old, but OLD as in stuck in stupid, lost in fiction, absorbed with hatred based on nothing but bogus and bull shit. And when I do observe men and women of a certain age, I have to wonder, maybe the better word is worry, as to what the fuck happened to them? I am a child of the ’60s… a time when right was quite different from wrong…a time when liberties and justice, and freedom were worth embracing…a time to proudly say this is my moment to say that I am equal!

 

I am shocked and amazed that men and women children and youth of the ’60s and ’70s are somehow no longer aware, motivated, encouraged, or outraged by the evil and intense manipulation by those in power to create a dystopian world of wealth versus poverty, evil versus good, and right versus wrong. I am old, so I see old people, but I am not dead, yet I see dead people all around me!