Saturday, February 18, 2023

Music To My Ears

 “First you say you do And then you don't And then you say you will And then you won't You're undecided now So what are you gonna do?” (Undecided/Charles Shavers). Undecided was written in 1938, and made very popular by a true ICON of music, Ella Fitzgerald. I remember my mother would sing the lyrics to that song after my sisters or I promised we would do some task and of course really never attempt at all to try.

 

When I read the transcripts released, regarding Dominion Voting Systems' lawsuit against FOX, its On-Line Propagandists and of course one of the worst people to IMMIGRATE to America, Rupert Murdoch, as if my mother was with me, I heard these lyrics running in my head to the song UNDECIDED. Is anyone shocked, or as George Bush so fucked up once said “SHOCKED AND AWED!”

 

“Your lips tell me no no But there's yes yes in your eyes Well I've been missing your kissing just because I wasn't wise Well I'll stop my scheming and dreaming 'cuz I just realized Well your lips tell me no no But there's yes yes in your eyes” (There’s Yes! Yes! In Your Eyes/Cliff Friend) There’s Yes! Yes! In Your Eyes was written 1924 but made popular in the 1950s by Dean Martin. Often, Dean would pretend he was one drink over the limit when singing songs, especially love songs, songs about the women who were just big teases. I was not a fan of Dean martin, but my mother and my aunt adored him, and when my oldest sister would return from a date and my mother asked her how it went, my sister, Maxine would often demure, causing my mother to belt out the lyrics to There’s Yes! Yes! In Your Eyes.

 

Perhaps the brief’s most revealing piece of evidence comes in a text message between prime-time hosts Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham. In the Nov. 18, 2020, conversation, the Fox stars shared their contempt for Trump’s conspiracy-minded lawyers, Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani. Carlson told Ingraham that he personally found their lies “unbelievably offensive,” but added: “Our viewers are good people and they believe it.” Which begs the question: are Fox’s biggest stars actually bigoted conspiracy theorists, or are they playing a role for the cameras that fulfills their viewers’ expectations? (MSNBC)