Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dear Mister President

Dear President Obama,


Here we are on the eve of a New Year, and the eve of the ending of a decade. Here we find ourselves perched on the edge of reflection of what was and standing upright to contemplate what might be.


I am just an average American with no name recognition, nor any fan base following my every move. I am a father, a partner (unable to marry in California or under Federal law) and a citizen who for 60 years has participated in a community of other Americans who wish for more, settle for less, and find the status quo sometimes uncomfortable, unsettling and unrequited.


I voted for “change we can believe in”, and thought by doing so, I could place the horrors of self serving, gluttony and greed behind me. I found potential promise in prose and phrases said by you, and thought we had a chance to start over again for the first time. For the first time in decades I found the same excitement for the newest President, as I had as a young man while watching JFK try to transform America.


Now I am dismayed and disillusion has begun to seep deep into my existence. I am once again wondering why bad seems to be triumphing over good; evil has gained ground over greatness, and bias, bigotry trumps altruism, and acceptance.


I am waiting for you, Sir, to regain the reigns of sensibility and sanity. For you to place the Politics of partisanship of those who seem only too anxious to please their own agendas on the dumpster floor. And for you to speak with intelligent and most importantly relevant words and ask all Americans to stop the madness and find a common ground to begin a walk to the next decade.


It seems during the campaign for your Presidency, your message was loud and clear. The murmurings of mindless others was drowned out and most of us heard your voice. Where are you now Mister President? All I can hear are the warbling, ranting, ridiculous, maddening machinations of Palin, McCain, Beck Demint, Cheney, Rove, and Limbaugh.


Why does it seem the self loathing, hate mongers have the last word?


In a few hours, my partner Joe and I will embrace one another, a glass of Champaign in our hands as we wish away the sour and saccharine and welcome in the promise and positive. We will trust our love for one another and the love and support of family and friends to guide us into the days ahead. But what lies ahead after the ball drops and confetti is flung?


There seems to be too few to trust anymore aside from self. You asked to be a leader of a nation greater than any in history, please don’t stand back and allow idiots; uneducated, fearful, self loathing lemmings lead the way.


I wish you and your family a New Year of good; please provide the same for all of us.


No comments :