Thursday, December 24, 2009

happy ever afters

A few days ago I sat and watched “The Wizard of Oz’ for perhaps the 25th time; however much to my enjoyment and surprise this version had some vivid and impressive colorization in making it a movie watching experience even more enjoyable. I got lumpy as Dorothy said goodbye to her three pals, each of them expressing their love and gratitude to her and for her. And I was all smiles as she told Auntie Em that there is no place like home.


The day after my journey to over the rainbow, I sat in front of the television and gleefully smiled hard and watched for perhaps the 30th time “White Christmas”, with Bing and Rosemary finally finding love and living happily ever after in a very snow drenched Vermont inn. All the trauma and disappointment of the past year melted as the thick white flakes mounted and made life merry and magical for all.


Then last night, I collected my Kleenex box and a big bowl of popcorn and watched “It’s a Wonderful Life for perhaps the 80th time, sobbing and cheering on Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed, as they finally realized the priorities and promises they could both collect together. It was a sappy, syrupy, good time for me as the two cleared the fog of the past and found the road to the future.


The thing I have always wished for was the kind of happy endings we witness in the movies, actually finding its way into our everyday existences; knowing that no matter how hard the road ahead there will be a rainbow, snow falling or an angel assuring us that the wait was well worthwhile.


There are skeptics among us, I being the leader of the pact, who doubt that good will triumph over evil. But somehow when the violins begin to crescendo, a chorus of sopranos begin to croon, the camera pans in on the mopey eyes turning bright, I also drop the cloak of negative and allow at least a ray of positive to beam upon me. After all the writers of the screen play had to believe that amid all the turmoil, each character could find their own peace and happiness. Each fictional character on film had to be given life by a real person. Why then can I not be the author of my own life and discover my own happy endings?


This has been quite a year and decade for that matter of topsy-turvy, no reason or rhyme, no sense or sensibility, but in spite of the difficulties, many of us still persevere to make the bad turn into good. I am frustrated with the circumstances of the world, but know that with what ever faculties and resolve I muster, I can find a happy ending. So I won’t stop and won’t allow the disingenuous, deranged, difficult demon like individuals stand in my way to find the rainbow, a mound of pure white snow, or an angel.


So for those who celebrate any of the festive holidays or events in December, have a “Wonderful, Over the Rainbow, White Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, Winter’s Solstice Life.” May all your dreams finally come true and may loud symphonies sound as you find as many happy endings the universe allows.

No comments :