Friday, May 20, 2016

OVERWHELMED

Today as I was about to rant, rave and ruminate about yet one more injustice encroaching upon the lives of Americans, and our co-inhabiters of this Earth, my brain went on strike. As I normally do, I sat in front of my computer, at the ready to furiously peck at the keys and as Harry truman once said “…Give ‘em Hell…” BUT nothing but the word OVERWHELMED flashed across my eyes and a note scribbled by my brain cells saying “I’ve gone fishing”. (I hate fishing). Then as if there was a power surge (The kind that happens after a severe thunder storm) my head twisted and turned, rotated left and right (Like Linda Blair in the Exorcist), and I actually think the top of my skull exploded (Like the Roadrunner when one of his ACME box of tricks backfires on him). What seemed to be two years of my life (In actuality maybe 2 minutes), I stood up from my desk, paced the hallway of my house, sighed and thought WHY!?

There was so much I needed to express, yet which topic should become my priority. Oklahoma may make it a felony for abortion doctors to practice their legal right and assist a female with her own private choice. A Senator from Arkansas believes we need more prisons. Bathrooms are now the new catch phrase for What Would Jesus Do. People debate that we either should be giving more to Vets, rather then to immigrants, when in fact there is money to both. The Speaker of the House has decided that feeding kids living in poverty diminishes their chance for hope in the future. Anti-semites love themselves some Donald Trump and the hypocrite that is Trump has yet to say out loud my daughter and grandson are Jewish. People are dying in Flint, kids will now live with life long, life threatening illness, and Governor Snyder is still in office. Which of these should we worry about the most.


Today as I began my ritual to express my outrage against the hypocrisy, ignorance, selfishness, all eager to vent, my brain went silent. Are we all just too stupid to care, are we all just too narcissistic to worry about anything but ourselves, are all too terrified to take a stand? Life starts out so simple, what is it about our nature as humans to take the simplicity of living and turn it into something so OVERWHELMING!