Friday, November 24, 2017

dreary noise

I was told by a friend of mine, when I was a counselor at Emma Farm Camp that the only time you notice the wind is when a breeze slowly brushes the leaves, jiggles some of the hair on your head, and swoons past your body as if it just hugged you. Once the gusts become bigger, and all nature around you seems to crack and creak, you no longer hear the wind, and you are left with noise, causing your brain to tune out and not tune in.  I also remember walking toward the campers cabins, when the same friend pulled a thorn from a raggedy bush, asked for my hand, then proceeded to prick my little finger, she pricked her little finger and said, our souls are now eternally entwined. I was confused, as I began sucking my finger to stop the blood, but as I did so, I recall, as if it happened just now, a quick swish of wind, dancing around my body almost moving my T-Shirt from left to right; I must have looked astonished as my friend laughed adding the wind just spoke to you and said congratulations. To this day, when the wind is slow and casual, and I am standing alone, and a bit of a breeze brushes ups against me, I say out loud, I know you are telling me something, but what!

We make noise in this nation, loud ripples of bullets finding frail targets of flesh, insecure booming men bragging about their sexual prowess, insincere religious zealots ready to murder for a God they say is strong, but seems to be too weak to defend itself. When natural events occur providing death and destruction in the hundreds, we clamor and can’t wait for the myriad of videos, sob stories, and contrived here say to explain what happened. Politicians speed through the halls of Congress with throngs of reporters shouting, begging, screaming questions. Innocents get shot by police, crowds gather, police get shot by self appointed assassins, tons of SWAT teams arrive in with canons and tanks. The response toward an event that hinders, harms, hurts the innocent, soon becomes as loud and massive as a Hurricane, and within all of that noise, it seems we as a nation, do nothing more than try to shout into the wind to solve the problem, but none of our words are really ever heard.


I am frustrated, disappointed, saddened, shocked, and pissed that in 2017, we as a nation have seemed to forget the terrible lessons from the past, have demonstrated total disregard for the values of our Constitution, and have decided that free, and equal are not what the Founding Fathers of this nation wanted, nor the wishes of some of the various Gods to which we pray. A breeze blows by, instead of listening, or trying to learn a lesson, we become loud and create our own gusts, which churn and turn and honestly provide us only with noise, deafening, dreary noise!