Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Hanukkah

Tonight, is the first evening of Hanukkah, for those who choose to celebrate, it is a holiday filled with the crisp orange and blue glow of candles, reminding the observer watching the Menorah, upon which the candles blossom; of the need for hope, the knowledge of chance, and the purpose of tomorrow. In my house, growing up, Hanukkah was taught as a lesson to persevere, to believe that one drop of oil, one lit candle will be enough light to get through the night, and begin the new day. The darkness remains scary when no one dares shed a light, but instead chooses to hide from perceived demons, or from those who persecute, or from those whose intention is only for self and not self-less. 

Supposedly there is truth when there is light. Even when light cast shadows, but we can still discern what is really in front of our eyes verses what is imagined. This year, of course I will light my Menorah (I know my mother is looking down from Heaven, expecting me to do so), but as I light the candles, I do so this year with greater need, greater want, greater desire for light to burn away the gloom, greed, gluttony, grief, and disingenuous and sheer gaul, which has been permitted to lay to waste freedom, fairness and equality.


In my 68 years of life, there has never been a more worrisome political period in which I have wondered if we as a nation have enough courage for the beacon of democracy to continue to remove the nightmare that has consumed our lives. The story goes that the Maccabee’s, fought on, fought tough, fought even when they thought there was nothing left…For those of us who cerebrate the Miracle of Light, never remain silent, never permit the idiot to rise to be king, and always seek the light of truth.