Monday, November 16, 2015

The Virus In Us: Part One

Part One: I am a fan of The Walking Dead, I have been an avid viewer of anything monster since I was a kid back in the day living in Pittsburgh and watching Chiller Theater which aired all kinds of scary monster movies beginning at 11:30 pm on Saturdays. As scary as those monster movies were I knew that if I could at least make it through the night (that meant shutting the lights off in the living room then closing my eyes as tightly as possible and running up at least 15 steps to make it safely in my room and under the sheets), that the monsters from the television screen or the movie screen would be gone and done. I could be scared to death as the saying goes, but honestly I knew I would wake up the next day because after much ado it was ONLY make-believe.

I am a fan of The Walking Dead mesmerized by the creativity of zombies, and the imagination of what this world might look or feel like in some kind of apocalypse; honestly for me it is both fiction and horror done with great zeal and gusto. At first the viewer had to guess how and why did this zombie virus happen, I liked that, my imagination loves a good challenge…BUT then the writers gave away some information that made such a sudden stop in my mind that I almost had an emotional whiplash when it was revealed that the Zombie virus IS IN ALL OF US. The characters could try and live a good life, but when they died unless someone killed their brain they were, no matter how swell of a person, going to turn in to a Zombie.

Imagine if there was a virus inside of us something at the ready to turn a living human into nothing more than the walking dead. It is so weirdly impossible to consider. Then on Friday November 13, 2015 in Paris it seemed as if the virus, the one hidden crept forward turning people into Zombies. Carnage, cowardliness, mayhem, murder feigned as religious indignation, pre-emptive political patronage, became full blown and manifested into mindless madness. I had to wonder IS THE VIRUS IN ALL OF US ? (Part Two to follow)