Friday, May 12, 2017

DOOM

I was too young to understand the feeling I had as my family and I watched Walter Cronkite, try and explain to the American public, what a US Embargo surrounding Cuba, could and would mean for the world around us. All that resonated in my brain were the words, the Russians, Atomic Bombs, and World War Three I was a bit older, not quite wise enough to exactly identify the feelings I felt, but I had this unnamed sensation when the Principal of my Elementary School interrupted my gym class announcing that President Kennedy had been assassinated, and school was being let out early. The rumor mill was rampant and as my friends and i were walking home, we heard the radios from the cars around us as well adults talking about, the Russians, that the Military was taking over. Like the Embargo this event cast a large mood over me and at the time I had no definite name for it.

Today, I was in the locker room, trying my best to zig and zag from the men my age who somehow think personal grooming and laying out the next wardrobe change on any existing bench is theirs to, paying no attention to anyone else but themselves. AND once again, CNN was blaring. Wanting nothing of the mess in the locker room nor the images about to appear on television I did all I could to just get out and breathe. The crowd of men pampering themselves was large so i was stuck, and blaring in my head aside from Holy Shit these guys are Douchebags, was a sniper of Trump standing in front of Military wives, with his NYC based wife Melania, speaking in his patronizing voice, telling the crowd how much better he treated the Vets, and how much better the Troops liked him. That was followed by breaking news, again on CNN, where Sean Spicer denied that Trump threatened James Comey, and Comey’s firing had nothing to do with the whole Russian thing. Even with the evidence of Trump admitting that the Russian investigation was motivation for the firing, and  evenTweeting a threat to Comey about tapes, those according to Spicer wee sheer nonsense.  


But then one of the talking heads from the panel of CNN, said something, something simple and something I have mentioned and my many friends who care about democracy have also noticed…this talking head said our government IS supposed to have a strong system of checks and balances…The Legislative Branch IS not doing their job as written in the Constitution. In this case it IS they who should be demanding an Independent Counsel…they are not. It was with those words, and some pissy eye contact with the “Take Up ALL of Space In the Locker Room men”…when the emotion I felt as a kid with the Cuban Embargo and the Assassination of JFK seemed to envelope me, almost smothering me. I felt DOOM. I now had a name for the feeling I got and now get when I believe the bad guy will win and the good guy will lose…it is called DOOM, and I am officially suffering from it!