Friday, September 24, 2021

PERILOUS

 I LOVE reading authors who write really scary novels about the Supernatural/Science Fiction. I enjoy imagining how I might actually respond or react as the Apocalypse is about to arrive, Aliens from another planet land on Earth, and what is Zombies or Vampires lived next door. Throw in a few ghosts ghouls and demons, and as I read the plot I wonder, just how would all of this affect me. Knowing of course that once I slam the hardback cover shut, none of the mayhem of madness will find me, and any machinations of marauding EVIL can wait until the next day when I begin to read the next chapter.

 

HOWEVER, I actually remember reading two books which terrified me so much, that in the evening, after I finished a few chapters, I would actually have to remove the books from my room, take them to the furthest room in the house and place a very heavy object on top of them; just to make certain nothing crawled out of the pages and found me. (UH-HUH, I speak a deep dark secret of truth) The books were ‘The Exorcist’ by William Peter Blatty, and ‘Salem’s Lot by Stephen King. To this day I recall thinking either the DEMON from the EXCORSIT or the VAMPIRE from SALEM’S LOT, would somehow manifest and attack me in my sleep. (My imagination can run wild). Phew I thought, those are only FICTITIOUS CREATURES, created and brought to life by very warped, and talented men who know how to share a good SCARE.

 

BUT NOW, I am reading the book ‘PERIL’ by Bob Woodward and Robert Costa. And you know, as I read each chapter, I feel my heart racing as it did with The Exorcist and Salem’s Lot. I am horrified, terrified, frightened, and fucking fear for my life. AND the most AWFUL of things IS, that the monsters and creatures in ‘PERIL’ are actually real people, most of whom are still free to roam not only in the dreariest of the night but in broad daylight. I have added ‘PERIL’ to the list of books, that are NOT permitted in my room at night and must be sent to the furthest room of my house with at least a 10-ton brick sitting upon it, to keep TRUMP and his CULT away.