Sunday, May 22, 2022

Catharsis

 Catharsis is the purification and purgation of emotions through dramatic art, or it may be any extreme emotional state that results in renewal and restoration. (Psychology Magazine) 

We kept our bedroom windows wide open overnight, enjoying the waves of the breeze fresh from Cape Cod Bay, it had been a long COLD winter, and to feel Mother Natures' breath on our bodies was quite a relief. Due East, our bedroom windows face the horizon from which the Sun decides to embrace the Earth, and on the spectacular mornings of no fog, no clouds, the sun, to borrow a lyric from Cat Stevens, seemed like “Morning has broken like the first morning.” And then I mistakenly opened my phone to accompany me to the bathroom (How did I ever use the bathroom before I-Phones), with a bit of hesitation, that voice from my gut reminded me, “DON’T” …but then the other voice the one usually smack dab in my brain, snickered, “JUST DO IT, YOU HAVE TO!” And I did!

 

The headlines were as usual, bleak, and full of boogeymen and women, bewildering at first if you had just landed on the Blue Orb and had heard we were a race of humanoids with great potential; BUT discovering that basically, we have become nothing more than a plethora of PEONS, who somehow think mutilating the MINIONS will not endanger the lives of those who live to BULLY! And as bright as day had begun, the here and now did a 180 degrees painful turn, becoming dark and dingy for me.

 

I had a choice to make! Should I glumly try to grin and bear it, this pathetic pissing contest between self-serving losers, and wanna-be or might I find, at least for now an alternative. The same iPhone, providing me with the end of the world machinations of the mad, also became a savior of sorts. Once the DREAD was about to completely smother me and RUIN this fantastic day, I went to my iTunes Playlist, and wham bam thank you to The Mama’s and Papa’s, Dusty Springfield, Simon and Garfunkle, and The Righteous Brothers. I suddenly found myself back to years when the Future Could Be Mine, Hope was not just a cute word on a T-Shirt, and Safety actually seemed safe. It was 1966 and 1967 for me, and THIS WORLD had a chance to be better!