Monday, December 26, 2022

if not, now?

 A suggestion by one of Benjamin Netanyahu’s incoming ministers that Israeli doctors should be allowed to refuse treatment to LGBTQ patients on religious grounds has heightened fears that the new government poses an unprecedented threat to gay rights. In a radio interview on Sunday, the incoming national missions minister, Orit Strook, of the Religious Zionist party, was widely understood as implying that Israeli doctors would be able to refuse treatment to LGBTQ patients in the spirit of legislation her party is drafting and in accordance with coalition agreements that provide for amending an anti-discrimination law. Strook specified that a doctor could refuse care to a patient if doing so violates his religious beliefs “as long as there are enough other doctors who can give this service”. (The Guardian)

As a Jewish person, (as far as I know, no one is born with a RELIGION GENE, rather born into a family who practices religion), yet as a Gay man (I was born with this Gene, not born into it), I find this tidbit of scary news emanating from Israel as nothing BUT HOMOPHOBIA, MASQUERADING as RELIGIOUS DOGMA!

Once again, a state religion, as in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the wannabe National Fascist Christian State of America, and maybe Israel, is nothing but hate wrapped up in which Bible or Book of Religious Law you decide validates your own HATE!

 

משנה אבות א׳:י״ד

(יד) הוּא הָיָה אוֹמֵר, אִם אֵין אֲנִי לִי, מִי לִי. וּכְשֶׁאֲנִי לְעַצְמִי, מָה אֲנִי. וְאִם לֹא עַכְשָׁיו, אֵימָתַי:

 

Pirkei Avot 1:14

 He [Rabbi Hillel] used to say: If I am not for me, who will be for me? And when I am for myself alone, what am I? And if not now, then when?