Friday, January 5, 2024

Given Statement

 

Given Statement: This is the information stated in the problem directly or indirectly. It is provided as a part of the question. For a statement like "Two lines are parallel," the direct information given is that there are two lines that are parallel to each other. Two-column, paragraph, and flowchart proofs are three of the most prevalent proofs used in geometry. Each presents the steps and the Statement-and-Justification pairs in different ways.

 

I hated Geometry. Actually loathed this class in high school. Perhaps I am a left-sided brain person, or just really poor at Math. But the one thing I remember in my Geometry class, as our teacher made us go to the chalkboard to do a Proof, was that there were these things called GIVENS, as in hurrah, here are three things right in front of your face to use in helping solve the problem. (As an aside, I had a Geometry teacher, who loved to see how his students either suffered in his class or how easily Geometry was for them. It was a sweat test, where each student called up to the chalkboard and had to place a hand on the board, as Mr. V. would bombard you with questions. He would grill and if he discovered your weakness, or in my case, my sheer lack of anything Geometry, he became relentless in his questions, so much so that once his inquisition ended, the student would sit back to their desk leaving behind a sweaty handprint, in such detail that if a forensic detective entered the room he or she could actually identify you by your fingerprints.) All I knew was that somehow A was to equal B and B was to equal C, and all I did not know was how the fuck to get there!

 

So today, trying my hardest to NOT read any political news, or is the right word NOISE, I came across a headline from HUFFPOST, Americans worth more than $100 million sat on a whopping $8.5 trillion in untaxed profits in 2022, a report released Wednesday found — money that may never be taxed unless Congress closes a loophole shielding the investments of the ultrarich. Holding my phone in my hand I actually felt a bit of tremble and suddenly my fingers felt sweaty. I read the rest of the article, and the slow drip of sweat found its way from my fingers to my palm. What The Fuck I said aloud, to no one my dog, who looked at me with his, is it time to eat eyes. I placed the phone on my desk wiped my hands, took a deep inhale, and thought, here is the problem. If rich people do not pay their fair share of taxes. Leaving a higher deficit in the American Government Budget, how can we begin to try and balance the budget. A=B=C!

 

Here was my own Geometry Proof, and I proudly knew how to solve this calculation. The answer, is STOP PERMITTING RICH PEOPLE TO PURCHASE THE SAME POLITICIANS WHO HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE THE TAX CODE! STOP PERMITTING BRIBES, GRIFFTING, AND PUPPETRY TOWARD POLITICIANS BY PEOPLE WITH MEGA DOLLARS. My solution seemed simple and easy, easy enough that if I was still in Mr. V’s Geometry class I could walk away from that chalkboard with no handprint.