Wednesday, April 12, 2017

OMINOUS

October 22, 1962, (a day after my birthday when I became 13 years old, (My Bar Mitzvah was about to happen in November, the tradition, regarding this in the Jewish religion, was that I would officially become a man), but I was still a kid. October 22, 1962 the United States enforced the Cuban Embargo, demanding that no Russian ships enter to exit from Cuba for fear that the cargo onboard might contain nuclear materials. Coincidently, this crisis lasted 13 days. I remember having a President in the White House, with intelligence, concern for the American people, President Kennedy was a Democrat, but I also remember that the Republican Party, of that era were also, supportive the American public, and realized that Democrats and Republicans shared a common aggressor, and that not working together was wrong for the American public. I also remember that no one in the White House or for that matter was beholden to the Russians, or fearful that blackmail disguised as puppet strings would be pulled or pushed to keep the politicians of both parties from doing the common good for ALL of America. I was still a kid, but watching my parents, our adult neighbors and family, I realized something beyond my imagination might come to fruition. I also remember that the news, during this Missile Crisis, was direct, was factual and was not more concerned with sound bites, bling, or BS. The truth was told, no talking heads to debate the fact that maybe a nuclear war would be good for the nation or not, and any report presented to the American public was sound, solid and sure.

It is April 12, 2017, a day after my sisters birthday. I am now 67, and as read about the current events of today, I feel that ominous, emotion wafting up my spine digging into my spine, I had no idea what to call that same feeling as a kid, but as an adult I will just use the word terrified. Whether it be Syria or now North Korea, this nation under the leadership of a reality star, and the CEO of Exxon Mobile, all pampered and procured by a Republican Party whose only cause is self, the nation is facing some OMINOUS events. We have a man in the White House who wants to get even with anyone he deems the devil. He has oil deals with Putin his daughter tells him she is dismayed that children in Syria are being poisoned with chemicals, and he will Con the rest of the world, just to keep his narcissistic fame and ill gotten fortune. The Republicans in Congress have demonstrated over and over again their disdain for democracy and permit this nihilist to remain in office. And the cable news talking heads praised a useless and expensive missile attack ad bravery, refusing to ask the big question what is next.


I am terrified at these actions, I am miffed that Trump somehow is still in charge of the button to end civilization, I am pissed that no one has budged an inch to remove him from power…and I am not sure if there will be any other time in my life to witness something as OMINOUS as what our nation  has permitted to take place.