Friday, June 14, 2019

Aunt Meercy

If, in our lives, if we can include, among those, for whom, often times words alone can’t carry enough emotion nurture and gratitude; because the love for that individual is so great and grand…we are lucky enough to understand even better, why life is truly magical, mystical, full of the miracles! On Monday, May 10, 2019, I lost my own personal Auntie Mame and Doris Day wrapped into one lady named Meercy Weiner! My Aunt Meercy, after 101 years of never giving up, or giving away her strength standards, will and wishes, finally closed her eyes, and began her road trip to Heaven! 

“When I was just a little girl I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty Will I be rich Here's what she said to me
Que será, será Whatever will be, will be The future's not ours to see
Que será, será What will be, will be”
(Que, Sera, Sera/Ray Evens/Doris Day)

Aunt Meercy was my Doris Day, from her blond hair-do, to the smile, the confidence and the love of music. She would tell everyone who would listen, and even those who didn’t, that she taught me how to do the cha-cha, knowing just how much rhythm and rhyme was longing to let loose in her nephew, and that if I only believed in myself and my talents whatever should be, would be. 

“Dance to a new rhythm Whistle a new song Toast with a new vintage The fizz doesn't fizz too long
There's only one way to make the bubbles stay Simply travel a new high way Dance to a new rhythm
Open a new window every day!”(
Open a New Window/Jerry Herman/Mame)

Education, the Arts, Culture, choices were always on the agenda for Aunt Meercy and she would make certain her nieces and nephew living in Pittsburgh, opened every window and every door, to discover the sites and sounds, the quiet and the noise, associated with the ebb and flow of life not just lived, but life experienced and enjoyed. Museums, Concerts, Movies, Books,, name it and she introduced it, and with each lesson came the comments of you should always be as great as you can, but make sure you leave them wanting more! I said goodbye, and I love you, to Aunt Meercy, but I know she is about to walk down the steps at the Heaven Night Club, ready to do the Cha-Cha or Charleston and leave them wanting more. How wonderful my life was and is, because of my Aunt Meercy!