Friday, November 27, 2020

STOCHASTIC TERRORISM

  

“I thought I knew nothing, then realized I knew it all, only to find out there was more to know, and all or nothing neither suited my situation, nor comforted my quest for knowledge.” (Gerry Buncher/sans 2016-2020) I was and am caught in the quilt-like patchwork of committing to commonsense, and my unrequited dislike (not love) toward the ineffectual failures of truth-tellers to lay a heavy blow to the liars, who feel both lofty and Lord-like, permitting the loser to win, and the winner always somehow on the defensive! I have struggled with the concept of GOOD VERSUS EVIL, for many decades of my life (amazing, I might add, to find myself at that point in my own life when the word decade describes portions of MY own history), but honestly, ever since the debacle which became the 2016 election of Trump, and the magnification of anything MAGA, I found myself in a Don Quixote-Esque quest against windmills  (Don Quixote's fight with the windmills. He sees some windmills and thinks they are giants. When he rides to fight with them, he is knocked off his horse. Sancho tells him they are only windmills, but Don Quixote does not believe him.) I looked for rhyme reason or rationale but remained stumped and oh so frustrated. But today (DUH, why it took so long) after reading some articles regarding WTF has happened to America, I discovered an answer, NOT THE ANSWER, but a way forward as to WTF…it is termed STOCHASTIC TERRORISM. And now that I know this term and its definitions, I am not at complete peace with the world in which I live, but I at least understand the war I must fight!

 

STOCHASTIC TERRORISM/ the public demonization of a person or group resulting in the incitement of a violent act, which is statistically probable but whose specifics cannot be predicted: The use of mass public communication, usually against a particular individual or group, which incites or inspires acts of terrorism which are statistically probable but happen seemingly at random. Stochastic terrorism lets bullies operate in the open with full deniability since the random element erases any provable causation. Tellingly, the word stochastic comes from the Greek stochastikos, meaning “proceeding by guesswork” and “skillful in aiming.” Both are apt here. It takes a master demagogue to weaponize unstable individuals and aim them at political enemies. (WIRED MAGAZINE)

 

A QUOTE AND AN EXAMPLE: 2017, Clayton Delery, Out for Queer Blood:

All of this fits with what the anonymous blogger G2G had to say in his expanded definition of stochastic terrorism: “you heat up the waters and stir the pot, knowing full well that sooner or later a lone wolf will pop up and do the deed. The fact that it will happen is as predictable as the fact that a heated pot of water will eventually boil. But the exact time and place of each incident will remain as random as the appearance of the first bubbles in the boiling pot." (Wiktionary)