Sunday, July 11, 2021

Conjoined

 “Many's the time I've been mistaken

And many times confused
Yes, and I've often felt forsaken
And certainly misused

Oh, but I'm alright, I'm alright
I'm just weary to my bones
Still, you don't expect to be bright and bon vivant
So far away from home, so far away from home

And I don't know a soul who's not been battered
I don't have a friend who feels at ease
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
Or driven to its knees…” (American Tune/Paul Simon)

 

Conjoined twins are two babies who are born physically connected to each other. Conjoined twins develop when an early embryo only partially separates to form two individuals. Although two fetuses will develop from this embryo, they will remain physically connected — most often at the chest, abdomen, or pelvis. (Wikipedia). I remember growing up and hearing stories about twins CONJOINED, seeing videos, and listening as parents both hopeful and worried, speak about what they feel is right or wrong, good, or bad, natural or unnatural regarding keeping both children cojoined OR, making a decision to separate them. As a PARENT myself, I understand often times the feeling that HAVING TO PLAY GOD, is both a blessing and a curse! 

 

As we find ourselves ALREADY in the seventh month of the year 2021, I somehow find myself confused as to the EXACT time stamp in which we live. For me, 2021 seems an ominous extension of 2020, as if both years are CONJOINED, with perhaps 2020, the sicker year, and 2021 ailing from that ILLNESS. I am still exhausted from the torment and trials and tribulations of 2020 and having wished and hoped the year 2021 could or would be better, am overwhelmed with angst and anxiety, that the prevailing diseases of, BIGOTRY…RACISM…IGNORANCE…TREASON…HATE…CONSPIRACY…SOCIAL AND POLITICAL PHOBIAS…were never eradicated, rather reinforced…made stronger, and more virulent! For me, the calendar HAD stopped moving into the future, and IT decided to remain in a Dark and Dreary, and Dangerous Era. Conjoined Twins, the years 2020 and 2021, and somehow I want both to just go away!