Sunday, July 25, 2021

Fool Mother Nature

 The gray outside is in a monotone pattern. I know the arc of the horizon and can vaguely distinguish, the sky from the ground, but on this day, it takes a bit more imagination and tons of squinting to do so! Had I really studied the various types of clouds, I am certain, if this was a game of Jeopardy, there would be at least an entire category based on my sky, in North Truro, and I could say, “YUP, seen it been there and those clouds are real!” Thank goodness, the green, amounting to the same variety of trees as there are clouds, helps me notice that I am walking on the ground and somehow not floating in space. (But then again, on this kind of overcast, rain falling in drizzles, and patches, perhaps floating in space is appropriate, or just settling in on the couch and watching movies filmed in black and white, with a soundtrack consisting of strings and woodwinds)

 

Summer on the Cape has been a little weird. I suppose, based on my past 71 years of summer, this one stands out the most, due to the erratic and almost unpredictable choice of temperatures, weighty humidity, and chaotic, almost schizophrenic, changes in mood, Mother Nature is demonstrating… (She might actually be pissed off, and as in the 1970’s commercial for Chiffon Margarine, “It’s Not Nice To Fool Mother Nature” …), SHE can upend all we know. OR in OUR case, as humans living in the year 2021, Mother Nature, just might be saying, “YOU ASKED FOR IT, NOW ENJOY IT!” 

 

Moody and melancholy are great adjectives to consider when the ratta tat-tat of the rain bestows the listener to a symphony of horns and acoustical guitar and piano. Hard to tap your toe to, but if you remain quiet the sound beckons as might the siren of a mermaid, (the peaceful kind, who wishes to guide you home, not to HELL!). Thoughts are free to ruminate, maybe romanticize inside your head. But if you begin to dwell in the din of dark and stormy, for too long, then the thoughts of CLIMATE CHANGE start swirling as might a tornado (again in 2021, many more have appeared in places they never had been seen before), and one has to wonder, AT LEAST I DO, where can I run for safety?