Wednesday, November 3, 2010

for joe

Last night was, for me, a somber, sobering evening, (It actually was a two shots of Tequila night) as I watched with great reticence the results of the 2010 elections.


Joe, my exceptional partner, (not my husband because some demographics in this nation still function under separate but equal), was not sure if he should tip toe around me, comfort me, let me sulk in the living room in front of the television, or talk politics. He was wise by choosing to listen to me vent and express my outrage nodding in all the appropriate places.


Before we met, Joe cared about politics but with little passion, emotion and anger. Meeting me he began to hear the harangues, listen to the litany, and understand my underlying reasons for arguing against the injustices and arguing for the underdog. He encouraged me to blog about my perceptions and has been a supporter of great magnitude.


And last night for Joe I am sure, was similar to one of those scenes in a horror movie, where the actors hear strange noises in the basement, know something evil is down there, know they should ignore it, but somehow must climb down the stairs and confront the evil. So he sat with me as I watched what I considered the horror as the results came in regarding the “throwing out of the bums”.


As an American I am proud that we do have a chance to demonstrate our differences and indifferences via the ballot box. I am proud that no matter what, we CAN make a change when we feel it is necessary and CAN make corrections in our course when we feel there have been too many detours or dents. But as an American I am not so proud when in fact, fact has become obsolete. It seems that in the past two years fiction and fabrication have become a standard by which truth is told and apparently believed.


Democracy, I was taught is about debate, stating the differences but ultimately centering on consensus. It is to understand where we differ, understand where we can compromise, and permitting some things to have loose ends. But in a debate, even one with emotion, the facts are the key element above that emotion in deciding what is correct.


When we have politicians refusing to answer questions because they are not the questions they want to answer, or politicians who will only settle on one debate for fear they will be misquoted we have politicians whose candidacy is based on fear and fable. How then will those same candidates approach real day-to-day issues relevant for the welfare of ALL Americans when they are elected and actually DO have the power to make change or keep the change made?


Today, reluctantly as I am a news junkie and needed my fix, I listened to NPR on my drive to work as I heard the bragging from the Republican sans Tea Party leadership, the mea culpa from the Democrats and the “what is next” from the journalists. I did feel a bit of revulsion when some of the cocky winners stated the vote demonstrated what Americans truly wanted, and I did feel a bit of “what planet were you living on” when the losing candidate had no idea why they lost. It is the day after the mid terms the first day of the election period for 2012 and a day that does make me sad from my point of view that “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” for a major amount of Americans has been lost.


But I must continue to fight a battle for my beliefs and must not stop in my tracks because my road ahead feels like it has been hijacked.


After watching our 850th negative ad for some Senate or Governors race in California, Joe turned to me and said “honey soon, soon we will be free, free at last from this bull shit.” He added that my blood pressure will return to its normal and rate somewhere under his breath I am sure I heard him say and so will mine.


For those whose votes helped the group of politicians sweep into office congratulations, for those who feel that the wrong slew of people won, please do not give up or give in. We must and can be heard as hard as it may seem.


And for Joe, thanks for handling this harrowing happenstance with me.


No comments :