Thursday, August 2, 2012

this is about me


Simply put, as I live it, I am a second class citizen in this nation because I am a Gay man. Every teeny tiny right I seek must be first debated, placed on a ballot, approved by  a majority of people not my peers, and then once I win a small victory I must worry that some piece of fine print will have that right removed.
Because I express my true self as a Gay man I am seen as an American who has to find his place at the end of line. I am at the mercy of those in front of me waiting for permission to even walk the steps forward to reach the front of that same line. I am told by folk who are less intelligent, less emotional, less happy, less content that I am an inferior citizen.
Like the women before me who wanted a vote, the right to work in a job earning the same wage as men...like the men and women of color who wanted to drink at any water fountain, attend any school, sit in the front of the bus...like the Jews who had to build their own hospitals, communal agencies because they were denied access to many others...I want nothing more then the same dignity, ethics, morals and dreams this nation can and should offer all of its citizens.
I am not at war with religion, so far there is no official religion setting the laws of behavior. I am not at war with the churches, they can discriminate as much as wish using a human interpretation of God’s word to do so. I am not at war with the holier than thou who pretend it is Gods work they do while practicing their own version of hate and bigotry.
I am tired of those men and women who are members of the LGBT community permitting their profits, their bottom lines persuade them to vote against my civil rights. I am tired of hearing that free markets, free speech, will make me free. I am not free when I have to beg, have to protest, have to plead my case that being Gay is not a denial of being and American.
I am sick of reading posts about boycott this, support that when it comes to my civil rights. I am tired of waiting for politicians to pontificate about moral and immoral codes of conduct, while practicing not a word of what they preach. I am done with the whims and jealousies of men and women who have nothing in their own lives wanting me to have less because of all things I am Gay. I am actually sick and tired of having to even defend, use or refer to the term of Gay.
We can not shout “FIRE” while sitting in a theater. We are told that by yelling “FIRE”, too many lives might be trampled, crippled, murdered as the many try to flee from the fray. The cause of chaos is dangerous and too many innocents could be harmed by the selfish action of one. Dan Cathy has been yet one more man who has yelled “FIRE” in a theater. He has endangered the lives of the innocent. he has caused chaos in the communities of those pro Gay rights and those bent on denying Gay rights by expressing nothing but discrimination. Mr. Cathy has spoke ill about me, he has made statements that infringe on my pursuit of happiness. It is not a matter of first amendment rights, it IS about hate, loathing, bigotry and bias.
Why does fair and freedom have to be debated or come up for a vote. What is really American about denying civil liberties? Why is  equality an issue for the right or the left? Why do we permit the Bible to usurp the Constitution? Why are so many people defending Mr. Cathy who calls for limits of freedoms in my life as compared to his? Why is it always a war on religion but never a war on democracy?
Simply put, as I live it, I am a second class citizen in this nation because I am Gay. I will not permit those who use God as scapegoat, those who use resentment as a reason, those who know nothing about fair and equal to keep me down.
It is not that Dan Cathy spoke his mind and his heart as much as it is about he spoke using words that tried to define me, mold me and hold me down, make me different and less than. Dan Cathy is a free American but he thinks I should not be as free as he. Bull Shit! 

No comments :