Monday, July 25, 2016

RUMMY

My Grandma Braff, was a loving, caring Grandma. No one would or could deny that. My Grandma loved to play cards, and when each of my siblings reached the age that my Grandma considered appropriate for ‘playing card games’, Grandma Braff would delight in teaching us how to play the ONE card game from which she found her greatest delight…Rummy! Eventually my siblings and I became old enough to discover more activities in life, other then playing card games, and our Grandma Braff card playing days dwindled and dwindled. It was a birthday celebration for my Grandmother’s 87th birthday when my Grandmother received, as a gift, an over sized deck of cards whose print was large enough, enabling them to be read from at least a mile away. (My Grandmother’s eyesight had been failing). It was then that my siblings and I began to reminisce about playing Rummy with Grandma Braff. Our discussion which started out as sharing innocent tidbits of Grandma Braff card playing stories turned into more of a, “she never told me those rules”…”thats not how we played Rummy”…”nope that was not permitted” Our Grandma Braff loved us dearly, what we didn’t notice when we played Rummy with our Grandmother THAT there was an asterisk which read, I love you dearly, but I can and will change the rules because I want to win.

There are too many weird and whacky ways to describe this presidential election year, especially within the Republican Party and in particular Donald Trump. One inconceivable item, for me, is the fact that the Christian Evangelical Conservatives have embraced Mr Trump, preferring him over all of the candidates who have sworn on bended knees that Jesus urged them to run for president, Jesus spoke to them and their family members as they slept, and that somewhere in the New Testament, Jesus had mentioned that particular candidates run for office thus saving the world. Many Evangelicals have been questioned about their love for Trump, and many have made comments like…Jesus always said things many people disagreed with, but Jesus knew they had to be said…Trump is a a baby Christian, with every passing day, Trump is learning the truth about Jesus…Trump is only human and like Jesus, he might not say things you wish to hear, but they need to be said…If Trump had no faith in his heart, he wouldn’t be as honest as he is, wanting all of us to see what is right and what is wrong…Like Jesus, Trump never called himself a prophet… Three wives, adultery, greed, gluttony, Jesus will over look those human traits once Trump is Born Again…I am not Jesus, so who am I to judge…”


Rules are rules except when they get in the way for many Evangelical Christian Crusaders. If God tells you that there is an enemy that needs to be SMOTE and if God has defined a leader to lead that SMOTING, then who are we to question God. If Trump was married three times at least NONE of those marriages were same-sex. If Trump was an adulterer, look at the gift he created by having a child with his adulteress. Trump speaks the truth as Jesus did. There is really no way you can argue with a so called devout religious individual because always as their defense is I am just following what Jesus wants. Those are my rules.  Anyone want to play Rummy?