Tuesday, March 22, 2022

spri ng awakening

 A LOT of sunshine, almost crystal-clear blue skies, no snow anywhere, even on the hidden parts of our yard, where winter always seems to remain…BIRDS returning, all with the brightest of hues, shades, sizes, and shapes, the chipmunk babies curious and cautious all at the same time…the wild turkey’s schlepping their newest bevy of beauties to our backyard feasting on birdseed, of course establishing both literally and figuratively a pecking order! (My life living on Cape Cod). Having grown up in Pittsburgh, a day of 50 degrees, no wind and plenty of Old Sol pounding his chest, would have called for Bermuda shorts and a T-shirt, tennis shoes (Pittsburghese for SNEAKERS), and absolutely no winter clothes AT ALL. All the kids on our block would be outside, as our mothers would be bemoaning the fact that playing outside in March can only mean a FLU and Fever the next day! I was a kid then, so the BOOGIE MEN of an Ill-Fated Future, were nil and void! However now, although it is March, at my current age, I have forgone the shorts, and the rapture of being free from long sleeves and long pants, but still can recall the beauty of a SPRING AWAKENING! 

For the moment, when I can afford the time to sit on my porch, a bit bundled up with my Spring Ski Jacket, listening to the babble of the birds, almost hearing them say, just a few more weeks and this backyard will be OURS, I find peace. I remove myself from the madness of Talking Heads, Headlines, Cautionary Tales of Doom, Destruction, Devastation, and Death… I close my eyes, contemplating PURPOSE, REASON, MEANING, and HUMILITY, trying my hardest to believe that what counts is what is REAL…not THE invented projections of Humankind, such as War, Status, Greed, Gluttony, Fear, Loathing, Insecurity, Power, Money…

 

I have no idea how many Humans and Animals, have been massacred in Ukraine… I once was kept abreast about the innocents of this nation and of the world who succumbed to COVID…I have no idea how many Militia intended on destroying our Democracy… There are no statistics describing how purposeful voter disenfranchisement has denied people a chance to express themselves at the ballot… I may never know the total number of females who must endure a pregnancy against their own desires… A partial list of the EVIL that MEN and WOMEN do, but a nagging reminder that what MAN AND WOMAN create can too oftentimes, become an UNNATURAL event in our lifetimes! It is warm today, in the village of North Truro, I am lucky, so far to sit and wonder, have my mind wander, is this a true SPRING AWAKENING?