Saturday, March 26, 2022

Again and Again

 Having grown up in Pittsburgh, way back in the day, when SEASONS, actually consisted of four unique climates and temperatures; a 40-degree day in March with perfect blue skies, and tons of sun, was considered a luxury in which shorts and T-Shirt became approved clothing choices. Of course, our Mothers would disagree and assure us that even if IT WAS NOT FLU SEASON, parading around outside sans long pants, long sleeves, and a JACKET, was asking for TROUBLE. But somehow the innocence of youth succeeded long enough to play outside, and actually think that winterish weather was on its way out! (Never underestimate Mother Nature in Pittsburgh). Now that I am a resident living on Cape Cod, once again the temptations of sunny skies, birds actually back in my backyard, a certain smell of budding flowers (That is more of a wishing kind of thing than actuality a real ability), I was enticed to roam the great outdoors, pulling out my shorts from my SPRING COLLECTION of last year, and inhale SUMMER! 

 

My mood became a bit melancholy, however, and as bright as this day appeared, my mind began wandering toward the location of my WAY BACK, and I started wondering, what about today seems the same, yet different! Trying to diffuse any synapsis’ causing me to ask questions too complicated to configure and consider but desiring to do so ANYWAY! Finding my Ear Buds, fiddling with my I Phone seeking Siri to find JUST RELAX and CHILL Music, but without realizing it, I am seeking out music from the ’60s…a time of both direction ahead for me, and moments of worry that what will be, may not be!

 

“We starve look at one another short of breath

Walking proudly in our winter coats

Wearing smells from laboratories

Facing a dying nation of moving paper fantasy

Listening for the new told lies

With supreme visions of lonely tunes.” (The Flesh Failures-Let The Sunshine In/Hair/James Rado/Gerome Ragni)

 

For me, there is no greater GENRE of music than the words and music of BROADWAY. As ‘The Flesh Failures-Let The Sunshine In’, blared inside my head, sitting outside in my shorts and T-Shirt, too stubborn to accept the fact that at the age of 17, cold did not matter then as much as it did at 72, I recalled this MUSIC, and remembered the fear, loathing, dismay, distrust, concern, confusion and chaos I felt as war raged in Viet Nam, The Draft made war real, Women were being told how to deal with their own bodies, Racism reached into the places I once thought were fair and honest, Republicans decided to declare Right from Wrong and Good from Bad…and for me the realization that perhaps this HOMOSEXUALSCARY MONSTER inside my head was not just inside my head. I returned to the interior of my home, found my sweats and sweatshirt removed my EAR BUDS, and asked to no one but the four walls, WHY, AGAIN, AND AGAIN!