Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Our Books of Life

“If I am not for myself who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now when?” “ In a place where there are not humans, one must strive to be human.” “Moreover he saw a skull floating on the surface and he said unto it: Because you drowned, others they drowned you; and those that drowned you will eventually be drowned.”-----Hillel The Elder

For many Jewish people throughout the world, those who identity is purely based on the essences of their religion, the purities of their God, the memories of traditions, the guilt of generations before them to embrace, the self-motivation of trying to discover meaning and purpose, it is the observance of Yom Kippur at days end. (Yom Kippur, also known as the Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year in Judaism. Its central themes are atonement and repentance. Jews traditionally observe this holy day with an approximate 25-hour period of fasting and intensive prayer, often spending most of the day in synagogue services.)

Atonement, growing up I was led to believe it was a referendum upon my own life and its reflections, deflections, derelict in duty to others, or direct and dutiful actions with others. It was MY personal journey of inquiry, introspection, and inclusion into the lives around me, and understanding my own life. A personal journey, I used to think, in which I could say, please, and pardon, and leveling of intentions to improve, inspire, and initiate a promise for tomorrow. I can NO longer linger even on my own here say…because, for me, the silent prayer to MY God, is too quiet, too selfish, self-serving, and not serving a greater purpose. I want purpose in my life, I seek purpose in my life, and I will purposely oppose anyone whose intentions do not include the greater good. The SILENCE of prayer is beautiful, I find meaning in it…but SILENCE often times Is not the solution. So, as the last pages contained in my Book of Life are written with the assistance of some mystical pen held by the fingers of magnificent, omnipresent God, I understand my BOOK of LIFE is valuable, ONLY when it is stacked with ALL of the BOOKS of LIFE, interwoven, entwined, and intersected. This world I live in today scares me, but more so, the most frightening of fears are the foolish, who believe no other life is as good or valuable as their own!