Sunday, June 21, 2020

Dad's Day 2020

Dear Dad,
I can remember how proud you were when I ran my first track race, and won, it was the 50-yard dash at Linden School. You came dressed in your police uniform, left work a bit early, and sat in the bleachers, shouting for me to run, as hard as I could. I can remember when you sat in the first row and beamed as I not only wrote but produced/directed and choreographed my original musical comedy “Hey Kidd,” at the JCC, and afterward, told me I knew you were talented, but THIS kind of talent, now that is a whole LOT of TALENT. I remember, you being my Best Man, deciding that no matter the pain in your lower body, you would walk me down the aisle. And I remember your tears, as you held your grandson Adam at his Bris. And I know, somewhere in Heaven you smiled as we named our daughter Dani Hava, after you…you physically never met her, but she has so much of you in her!

Dear Adam and Dani,
I amaze at your strength, your insight, your vulnerabilities, your talents, your ability to face adversity, and come through all of that as strong and valuable, and empathetic and loving children…my kids…I was so afraid to tell you I was Gay, and you both said, so what…I thought I let you down, and you both said, huh, you are our dad, and we love you…and what you provided me, was unconditional love, and in return, you proved I could do the same. I am nothing more than the sum of the experiences of our life together…and I am eternally grateful.

Dear Dad, and Adam and Dani, on this Father’s Day, 2020, with so much amiss, and so much chaos and confusion, I am whole and confident. You, Dad helped me become the man I am, and both you, Adam and Dani continued to let me grow into a man who understands, the simplicity of LOVE IS LOVE…I am and will be eternally grateful. “For I am no one of importance, without the  influence and love from three of you!” Gerry/Dad