Wednesday, June 24, 2020

ZOMBIES

ZOMBIES…I love anything ZOMBIE, and my daughter, Dani, has inherited my fascination with them, even though my son, Adam is still a bit skeptical but turning the corner on the appreciation of anything ZOMBIE. Dani’s fiancĂ© Sarah has also become a fan of ZOMBIE’s and even my husband Joe is becoming quite a critic of a B ZOMBIE movie or one of greater stature. My love for ZOMBIE’s started when I watched the second movie shown on Chiller Theater while I lived in Pittsburgh, (in the early ’60s) when “Chilly Billy Cardille, would play a double bill of horror, with the second movie always about the walking dead in Haiti (this before I realized that BLACK LIVES MATTERED) because these ZOMBIES were victims of a voodoo curse, and of course the white plantation owners who could give a shit about their slaves! (Why I even lined up at the Monroeville Mall to try and become an extra in the first George Romero’s “Hight of the Living Dead,” my older sister actually placed rouge and red lipstick all over my body so I would look like a ZOMBIE, but I got on line too late and all the extra ZOMBIE’s had been cast.)

But here I am in 2020, and ZOMBIES are walking among us, in the form of MAGA supporters. The dead who prey upon the living during COVID-19, almost as if they were sucking the lives out of their friends and family for being as deadheaded as ZOMBIES, and as lifeless and caring! I watched the early episodes of ‘Walking Dead,’ and like most fans were astonished to discover that the ZOMBIE disease, was not shared by being bitten, but that in actuality the virus was a part of our DNA. Whatever the malaise, it was suddenly a realization that IT was becoming a part of us. And as I witness the Republicans and their enablers, who could give a shit about masks, or testing or tracing, it seems the ZOMBIE VIRUS like the arrogance regarding the CORONAVIRUS is now becoming something natural, inbred!

And then there was a scene in World War Z, when the population living in Jerusalem, felt safe and secure from the ZOMBIE VIRUS because that city had taken precautions and reinforced the walls which had already protected the city for the ages. But the amount of ZOMBIES on the outside, and the DOGWHSITLING in the form of ignorance that just thinking you are safe makes you safe, and the carefree, and when the privileged existence stopped working, and a breach in the walls caused a horrific infection, which created unexpected havoc, eating and contaminating of the healthy population; happened, I immediately felt scared! It seems with the Trump Supporters who believe a mask makes you a sissy, or non-macho, or a Communist, or anarchist and at least UNPATRIOTIC, all I can think of is how the residents of the city of Jerusalem became ZOMBIES themselves, almost instantly! We have a Virus, and those who ignore its medical and scientific facts have become brain dead, and indeed ZOMBIES!