Thursday, January 21, 2021

clearer, clearly clear

 “I can see clearly now the rain is gone.

I can see all obstacles in my way.
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day.
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day.” (I Can See Clearly Now/Johnny Nash)

 

Okay, perhaps if I had to re-write the song, I might use the phrase I CAN SEE CLEARER NOW, or maybe even, I CAN TRY TO SEE A CLEARING NOW, and because I still suffer the pessimistic prose and pathos of an abused citizen, I might even have written, I KNOW I WANT TO SEE THE CLEARING, AND ACTUALLY IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE TO DO SO! But to even imagine singing any song with the slightest bit of promise or purpose, is a strange sensation because what I am used to expressing has been a moan, a long guttural unfathomable grunt, and groan, a cry for help, a pleading, a baying at the moon!

 

There seems to be a new catchphrase, roaming the almost dystopian landscape, of an America reeling from being under siege, looking like the day after a Category 5 Hurricane, an F-5 Tornado, a 9.5 Earthquake. “Just Enough Of Us, For the Rest Of Us.” At first, I thought, “…hmm hokey, silly, an impotent irritant to make do, when nothing else can be done…” But I slept on that idea, and waited, on this 2nd day of clearing, and attempts to see clearer, now, AND somehow, the phrase, “Just Enough Of Us, For the Rest Of Us,” resonated for me. If we have a chance to change, (not a complete makeover or a nip and tuck), but a revolving resolution of compassion, facts that matter, and lies called out, maybe, my cynicism can be contained, and change can take route! I do not know, nor understand the mechanics of that, but then again, we sent a satellite to the moons of Jupiter, so who knows!

 

I awoke, today, in no hurry to see if the world in which I live had burst, boiled into a brew of orange turd, I knew hate and fear and loathing still inhaled enough oxygen to keep me from breathing in deeply, but I also believed, that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, “…gone were the dark clouds”, that, damn it, kept too many people blind!