Friday, November 4, 2016

Afraid

I am scared, my fear is very consuming, I am filled with worry, angst, and the idea that the future may be dismal and dark. There have been only three other times in my 67 year old life, when the politics of this nation have devastated my outlook and hope for this nation as well as my welfare as a citizen of the United States. The first happened as my family sat in our living room watching TV as President Kennedy informed his fellow Americans that the USA has put in place an embargo surrounding the nation of Cuba. We were told to be vigilant by the president, but reminded by the newscasters of the day, that a third world war might be eminent, but unlike other wars, this one would be nuclear. The second time my will seemed shattered, was when I happened to be in gym class, and our principal, interrupted the class with an announcement that President Kennedy had been assassinated. All students were to return home, immediately. When I arrived home, my parents and sisters were sitting, again, in front of the TV watching Walter Cronkite, every one was crying, this had been the first time I witnessed my father with tears. The third time, I felt lost and vulnerable as an American was on 9/11. To imagine, such terror, horror, to watch the mayhem, madness, to hear the shrieks, cries, and to not know why or how, this had arrived at our shores, our safe and secure landscape, was too much to comprehend.

I am scared, my fear has taken hold of my reasoning, leaving me with little to rationalize, let alone depend upon as a resolution. There is a chance that this nation may vote into office, a candidate who has demonstrated disdain, disgust, and some of the most undemocratic behavior our country has ever witnessed. He is permitted to bare no witness to his past, he is permitted to lie, he is permitted to speak as he denies others to ask questions. He is pardoned by the religious as he continues to sin. He is given a pass by Republican politicians whose own disregard for democracy runs a close second to his. He is a joke, as if once he is voted into office, we will hear the punchline and go on to the next laugh. He is Trump.


I am scared, my fear is real. Corporations are not real people. This is not a Christian nation. Women are not chattel. African Americans are not slaves nor thugs. The LGBT community are not sinners. Mexicans are not rapists.There is no voter fraud. The economy does not trickle down. There is no clean coal. Yet, if Trump is elected, and the Congress remains Red, all of the things I have mentioned will become true. This is not the broadcast of the final reality show for the season; this IS our future. Only three other times in MY life have I ever been so afraid!

No comments :