Tuesday, February 14, 2017

My Valentine

Back in the 50’s, the days when even Lucy had to sleep in a separate bed from Desi (even though they were married in real life), when Harriet Nelson and June Cleaver wore pearls a lacy apron and lots of make up to clean the house, bake the cakes and do the ironing. Back in the 50’s, when the Colored Folk played maids, butlers or shady characters, when Jews were shysters or the evil lawyer trying to steal any money from you as possible. When the word Spinster or Bachelor were code words for the deviant homosexual…back in those days when a man was a man and a women his possession, Valentines Day was celebrated in our public school. We all provided homemade Valentine Boxes and were told by our teacher that EVERYONE should provide ALL of the students in the class with a Valentines card. This was cool, and this lasted until we were in the fourth grade, and then a particular development occurred. Suddenly the young kids were now young boys and girls, and in the 50’s, it was kind of awkward for boys to give other boys Valentines cards, but since they were only girls and girls are silly, it was fine for girls to give other girls Valentines cards. But in the 4th grade, most Valentines cards handed out were the ones that NEVER said Be My Love, Or Be My Valentine, cause any reference to something like THAT, might make you Gay!

So now it is the 2 two thousands and since the I Like Ike Days of men being men and women being chattel, times HAD changed…(Not too sure what to make of 2017, with the Christian/Communist/Coalition in charge), but until Trump and his treasonous Republicans started to turn the clock backwards, it seemed that boys could give boys Valentines and girls could continue to be permitted a the gender that could demonstrate love and compassion for their Sisters (Although nowadays I think the insecure male Republicans call them Feminists).


But here is MY POINT: I just gave the man in my life, my husband, my legally wedded partner, my other half, my lover, my hero, my role model a Valentine’s Card…and it said I love you, Be my Valentine, I want to kiss you, I want to hold you and I want to always make love to you. My love is more than as equal as the heterosexuals who are on their third marriage, my love is far more equal to the heterosexuals who enjoy an adult  adulterous affair, and my love is richer than the poor heterosexuals, who just to comply with family/church or cultural norms get married not because they want to but have to. Happy Valentine’s Day, to my husband Joe…I love, love, love you!