Thursday, June 3, 2010

in god we what?

I believe in God. My faith guides me and is the basis for which I count on to count on doing the right thing. My family knows about my beliefs and my friends understand that many of my actions are based on a concept I derive from the God I worship.


If you ask me to discuss my relationship with God I shall. If you ask me to talk about my understanding of my Jewish religion, I will. If you ask me to say that MY religion is the one true religion, I won’t.


It seems there is a movement in this country to make God and the Bible more important and more relevant that perhaps the President and the Constitution. It seems that the more insecure, unsure, unnerved we become, we want to become a nation based on the rules and regulations of religion. It seems that the division of church and state from which this country was formed is becoming less relevant and that many believe that there is one true religion for all Americans.


The city of Ontario California has unanimously agreed this week to add the words “In God We Trust” to the display of the city’s seal in the council chambers.


Interesting! Yes the “In God We Trust became the nation’s motto when it was approved by Congress in 1956. And yes it is seen throughout the many parcels belonging to the federal government. And yes, many do trust in God.


But which God are they referring to? Is it the Jewish God Adonai, or Buddha, or Muhammad? Is it Mother Nature or Science the Angel Maroni? And what about those who do not trust in God because they are sure he/she does not exist?


Do we trust in the God who has decided that equal rights for Gays and Lesbians should not exist? That same God who somehow is a politician and votes against Gay Marriage, Gay Adoption, The repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. Is it the same God that Aryan Nation believes on the insistence of the white race? Is it the same God who seems to shout to the Black community, it was terrible to segregate the blacks in this country, but okee doekey to segregate the LGBT community? Is it the same God that established the Institution of Marriage, but made separate rules for heterosexual adulterers than loving homosexuals? Is it the same God that permits the Vatican to make excuses for the torment and distress caused by priest and bishops, but permits the Catholic Church to immediate excommunicate a Nun for saving the life a mother with four children?


And I wonder, is it the same God who we are told is grand and glorious but is so weak that if we do not force his/her praise on everyone, he/she will become feeble and fall from grace?


In God I do trust. But if you don’t then you don’t. The God in which I trust just needs my support because like my God I am unique. The God in which I trust is not looking to punish or separate, or find enemies, my God in inclusive, and anyone who wants to share in my God’s love can and will.


Why does it seem the louder you proclaim God the more exclusive and threatening you become? Why is that the more you say you pray to God the less of God’s will you perform? Why is it that one must believe and trust in God?


There are changes happening in this country and we all had better take heed.

No comments :