Tuesday, April 19, 2016

SPITE

I am an idealist, a progressive, I believe we need revolution in this nation when it comes to the common good for the common man. I am pleased we have candidates in the Democrat Party who speak about the issues of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But I am also a man who happens to be Gay. I am Jewish, have a daughter, sisters , nieces, and women in my life who I consider like family. I came from a family just living at the edge of middle class. My best friend in the entire world is of Mexican descent. My husband’s bestie just happens to be African American. I grew up in the 50’s where sign’s were prevalent that said NO Blacks, NO Jews, NO Catholics, NO Dogs. I have delivered food to seniors living alone, I have tutored children living in neighborhoods where playing outside was dangerous. Three years ago I could finally say “I Do” but recently it seems there are many who want to change that to “No you don’t”. I am ready for change, and I understand just how difficult change can be when the truth about change is muddled with fear, loathing, lies and religious ineptness permitting some people’s God to be more human than a deity. 

I am an American worried about the environment, the decay of our democracy, the fact that lives of Corporations garner more priority then the lives of the average American. Most of us realize that power lies only with those who can purchase politicians with big bucks. Indeed we have politicians who with out gerrymandering, repulsive and un democratic voter ID laws or restrictive voting would still be trying to pass a ninth grade civics class. I want to see a better nation, a country where freedom from religion triumphs over religious bigotry. A nation where consensus is not a dangerous action, difference is welcomed, and history remains a fact and not rewritten to become dogma.


I am pleased we have a debate happening on the Democrat side of the aisle, but recently I have become nervous that the debate has become inflammatory, imprecise, venomous and vile. To hear supporters of either Hillary or Bernie swear that if their candidate is not nominated to represent the “Blue” team frightens me. Lets be clear, both Hillary and Bernie say words like inclusive, freedom, equal rights, acceptance, and none of those words are ever spoken by the current crop of Tea Party-Republicans. I am tired of people saying revolutions are difficult as if we will survive if the Republicans regain control of the White House and maintain control of the Congress. As I see it there will be a revolution but one that disavows the rights of women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, people just living above the poverty line, Veterans,education and those of us who care about a healthy planet for the next hundred of generations. It seems that spite somehow gets co-mingled with the word REVOLUTION. If you stay home and NOT vote, or demonstrate your spite by for voting for Trump, just who do you think you will be hurting? The Dems have this wonderful philosophy about doing the right thing, but the Dems also have the knack to not be as flexible as they need, thinking we will show you! For me there is too much at stake to be spiteful.