Tuesday, May 3, 2011

enough said

Almost 50 years ago my father, as a policeman in the city of Pittsburgh, decided that too many cops were being shot at, wounded or ending up in the hospital. He had many comrades, friends and peers who in the line of duty found them selves needing blood transfusions and donations of blood to help them heal from receiving injuries in the line of duty.

No one seemed to care about the policeman after he saved the day, yeah there was lots of bragging about the bravery and boldness of Pittsburgh's finest before they entered the line of fire, but little bravura after they suffered the consequences of placing their life on the line.

My dad decided that too many police were suffering from needing blood donations and not having the means to afford them and many times were left suffering or left responsible to pay the bills to pay for the blood. So he, with a help a few bold men fought for and founded the Pittsburgh Police Blood Bank. This agency would be the first line of defense for injured police in the line of duty to receive blood without the worry of paying for it or having to wait their turn. My dad was hailed as a hero by his fellow police officers of Pittsburgh and insisted he did the deed because it mattered.

When I was fifteen years old, the city of Pittsburgh finally found the resolve to acknowledge the hard work of its first responders. The politicians realized that there were people, real people behind the uniforms of its men in blue and maybe it would be good to say thank you. The current President of the Fraternal Order of Police was recognized and honored. He was also congratulated for his foresight in starting a blood bank for the police. When I heard this I was appalled, I was furious, I was pissed. "Dad, I said, you were the one who created this, you started this, you deserve the honor."

Throughout my life my dad encouraged my accomplishments. He would speak proudly of the horizons I climbed and the advances I made both large and small. But he insisted that what we do is done because we felt it was right and it never mattered how many people knew it and bragging about it lessened the pure reasons of what we attempted and tried. My dad insisted that those who need 'kovet' (honor), need it because they really never finished the task they began and they began the task only to fill the lack of self they suffered from. He said when you do right, you did right and any righteousness from that act will fulfill you more then applause, acknowledgement, or accord.

President Obama with the assistance of a team of men and women who decided that it was time to take control of our destiny accomplished a daring and dangerous mission and destroyed the life of a man who cared less for the lives of others. This President went beyond the rhetoric and romance of promising action and instead did the deed. And humbly and honestly spoke of the act and did not ask for much more.

But in the wake of this heroic act, those of the Bush/Cheney Republican clan of hate mongers, liars and fabricators now are claiming a piece of the "I did it pie". I am the one deserving of the honor and hubris's, pick me, pick me. Eight years of Bush and eight years of terrorism and the man behind our fears still alive.

In my father's words, if you did the deed and it was successful then enough said. If you wish the deed and never try just shut up!


No comments :