Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"it's alive, it's alive!"

"I was dependent on none and related to none. The path of my departure was free, and there was none to lament my annihilation. My person was hideous and my stature gigantic. What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them". (quote from the monster in the novel Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley)

I thought politics could not get any scarier when Mitt Romney said corporations are people and they have feelings and the same rights as poor, unemployed and elderly Americans. I thought politics could not get any scarier when Rick Perry boasted about the over 150 inmates he has put to death in Texas and even when asked if some may be innocent all he remarked was that is not important. I thought that politics could not get any scarier when Ron Paul said if you can't afford health insurance or medical treatment then it was a bad choice so your consequence may be to die for poor judgement. I thought politics could not get any scarier when Michelle Bachmann said a woman should be subservient to her husband and her husband, a potential first husband, called Gays barbarians. I thought politics could not get any scarier when Rick Santorum said abortion is murder no matter the circumstances even if a woman is raped by her father. I thought politics could not get any scarier when thrice married Newt Gingrich said same sex marriage defiles the sanctity of marriage for opposite sex couples.

I thought politics was scary because of the politicians who claim to be pro life but try their hardest to deny a good life. I thought politics was scary because of the politicians who claim small government is good while wanting to govern the way we wed, take care of our bodies, how we worship, and who we kill. I thought politics was scary because of the politicians who ridicule the poor the working class, the elderly while codling the wealthy providing them with the funds they take away from everyone else.

But during the Republican/Tea Bag debates, the Republican/Tea Bag rallies, the gathering of Republican/Tea Bag PACS I have discovered that it is not the politicians who are scary, it is the bigoted, biased, selfish, self serving Americans who give the energy to the politicians. It is the self loathing, hateful hoodlums, self victimizing American who can't see beyond his/her greed, gluttony and glorification of self who are scary.

I have discovered that politicians are scary, but they are only scary due to the power and the prestige given to them by the public. I have discovered that unless there are millions of Americans ready to hate, impugn, negate, deny, ignore the rights, integrity, facts, status of others, then no politician could ever become scary enough on his/her own to do any of that distasteful and loathsome behavior. I have discovered it is not necessarily the monster that is scary it is the creator of the monster, the one giving them life that is the ultimate one to fear.

"Had I right, for my own benefit, to inflict this curse upon everlasting generations? I had before been moved by the sophisms of the being I had created; I had been struck senseless by his fiendish threats; but now, for the first time, the wickedness of my promise burst upon me; I shuddered to think that future ages might curse me as their pest, whose selfishness had not hesitated to buy its own peace at the price, perhaps, of the existence of the whole human race". (quote from Victor in the novel Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley)

No comments :