Saturday, June 16, 2012

to dani and adam


To Dani, and Adam,
Dreams, at first are like the clouds that float above us some meandering we think, aimlessly, and others we are sure have direction and purpose. We point our fingers at the fluffy white ones, giving them identity as a shape, as a face of a friend or worry that the grey ones so bulky in the sky might provide too much rain, hail or snow. But each day we scope the sky and find ourselves with new clouds and if the mood is bright we permit the clouds to peak our imagination. If the mood is dreary we ignore anything that seems out of reach or too far to realize.
Dreams then become as routine as our inhaling and exhaling or as burdensome as the itch in the middle of our back. Dreams, can invigorate us as we deeply breathe in or permit us to release the tightness in our chest as we breathe out. Dreams can feel as good as scratching that nagging itch or as relentlessly futile as trying to stop that nasty nuisance so hard to reach. 
We can welcome dreams, relishing their frivolous, frenzied fancies or try our damnedest to disallow access to our hearts and souls. But whether accepted or rejected we are human, and our psyche insists that we at least acknowledge the fact that dreams are as unique to us as fingerprints. And they are with us no matter what we desire. And dreams at their best make us wish and wonder AND at their worst, make us wish and wonder! Dreams are like our shadows, sometimes we see them and sometimes they seem to disappear, but no matter the case dreams like the shadow are a reflection of who we are, might be, may never choose to be. 
It is Father’s Day and I have received a gift from my son Adam, and my daughter Dani  of permitting me to watch their dreams come to fruition.  They have taken a gift their mother and I left for them at birth, perchance the ability to dream, and have honed and crafted that seed to grow and flower. They have pursued a future that at the present has their dreams close at hand, and entrenched in their hearts. Both Adam and Dani have said yes to the possibilities of dreams and yes to making dreams real. That is a gift for Father’s Day for me that is priceless, promising and perfect. 
I am blessed to be Dani and Adam’s Dad. It is, as it should be hard work, but the fruits of my labor are witnessed in the pursuit of my kids dreams coming to fruition. When I became a Dad, I became responsible for introducing the possibilities, the choices, the hopes, the joys of life. I also became responsible for letting my kids know how to dream.
And seeing both Dani and Adam embracing the once upon, as here and now, touching the hems of their dreams, my Father’s Day could not be bigger, brighter or better. Thanks Adam, thanks, Dani.
Love Dad.
  

No comments :