Thursday, September 22, 2016

huh?

When my kids were young, of course I had worries when they would leave the house, any parent worth their parenthood would and should. But NEVER in my kids lifetime did I EVER have to recite to them to put your hands up, or just hold on to the steering wheel if you are stopped by the police. I can not imagine the fear that would have gripped me and the paranoia that would have crippled my kids, if each and every day they left for school, or friends or work to remind them that even they are innocent, the police might think otherwise. My kids are white.

I am conflicted NOW regarding police authority in this nation, currently as it relates to African-Americans. My father was a police officer, I grew up respecting ALL police officers, even though my father reminded me and my sisters, that wearing a uniform and badge and having a gun does not make you a hero. How you use all of those items and how you act and react to others is the true sign of anyone being a hero. There is no argument that police are in the line of fire and are many times first responders, but there must be SOME discussion as to why if there are so many good Cops, WHY don’t they stop those who are Bad Cops from destroying a very important profession. 


Is it just coincidence, that when a white person shoots at federal marshals, or local police he/she are never shot to be killed. If they are shot it is to wound them. Is it just coincidence that every time an African-American is shot the first response from police and sadly the white community IS that the Black guy had a gun, he was jacked on drugs. I am not a bleeding liberal, I am an American and I believe I am watching a type of genocide in this nation toward a demographic of our population. Why is it un American to criticize abuse, murder in this nation? Why is NOT American for ALL of us to come together and say this is not just a police versus black problem, this is a problem emphasizing the lack of racial understanding and then trying to solve that problem.